5

AN: I would like to thank you all! I've gotten nothing but pleasant feedback, and 1K reads already? I can hardly believe it! Thank you all for taking the time to read this little fic. You brighten my day.

|--| |--| |--|

Newt knew better than anyone that the Bowtruckle, when threatened, was known to attack its offender with its long, sharp fingers. However, that was only when it was protecting its tree, and only to strangers looking to steal from them.

He never thought it would happen to him.

When Newt attempted to take Pickett (mind you – gently) off of ______, he was met with Pickett's fingers scratching him all the way down his arm. Of course, his first reaction was to let out a small yell and pull his arm back, clutching onto it. Pickett had managed to reach his fingers under Newt's coat and scratch him, and Newt could already feel himself bleeding.

______ put her hand over her mouth in surprise, not wanting to make any sound that might make the situation seem worse. Meanwhile, Pickett just crawled his way back up ______'s sleeve, going back to where he was comfortable. For a moment, she didn't know what to say, before she finally chirped in with, "Are you alright? Does that usually happen?"

Newt shook his head, beginning to take his jacket off and roll up his sleeve so he could better see the wound. "No, Pickett's usually very calm, I don't know what possibly could've gotten into him." Looking at the scratch, it definitely was going to leave a scar. Picket managed to make three defined cuts horizontally across his arm, and they were already starting to ooze blood.

______, not wanting to just stand there uselessly, told Newt, "I'm going to go get some bandages, hold on!" With that, she ran off into the bathroom, disappearing to find something, anything, that might stop the bleeding.

She threw open the bathroom cabinet, pushing past her stack of towels and looking at her emergency medical supplies. That god she had it – she wouldn't know what to do without it. She grabbed the bandages, no use measuring it now, so she grabbed the scissors too. What else would he need? She thought to herself in a burst. She felt like she was in a hurry, she didn't want to keep him waiting, and she felt guilty. Like it was her fault. Why did that little creature like her so much anyways? Pickett was Newt's creature – he had no reason to be attached to her. Was it just because she happened to be warmer now? Heat attracted certain types of bugs – that much she knew. Pickett could just be clinging onto her body heat.

She was curious, what kind of creature was Pickett anyways? Newt told her some variation of leaf-bug, but she's never heard of one growing to eight inches tall. At least, that's what Pickett looked like he was.

______ shook her head. This isn't the time to start wandering into your thoughts, she thought to herself. She grabbed the gauze, the last thing she suspected she needed, and headed out of the bathroom.

"Mister Scamander! I got you bandages, you should get into the kitchen so you can run your arm under-"

She stopped midsentence as she walked back into the room she had left Newt in.

He wasn't in there anymore, he just seemed to have disappeared.

"Mister Scamander?" ______ called out. She looked around for a moment, wandering around the room. She thought for a moment. She didn't hear any doors, right? He couldn't have left. Plus, he seemed keen on getting Pickett back, and Pickett was still up her sleeve.

She wandered around the room for a moment before she felt herself kick something slightly at her feet. Her first reaction was to step away quickly and look down, what she was... strange.

There was a suitcase that was wide open, on the floor, and the more she looked at it, the more she got curious. The strange thing was that it seemed to be... shadows. Like it was bigger than it appeared.

But that wasn't possible, was it?

______ got on her knees, looking into the shadowed suitcase. "Mister Scamander?" she called out.

No reply.

Slowly, curiosity getting the best of her, she hovered a hand above the suitcase. There's no harm it can do, right? She assured herself. With that, she reached into the case.

She didn't know what she was excepting, but when she couldn't feel a bottom and her arm was halfway in the case, she pulled it out stared at the case.

What was this?

She didn't notice that a small smile was creeping onto her face. Newt must be in here, she thought to herself. Where else could he have gone? It was a weird thought to think that somebody just crawled into a case and disappeared but...

Stranger things happen every day.

______ steadily put one foot into the case, feeling around for something for it to stand on. Finally, she felt what was like the step of a ladder, and moving slowly, she began to decent down into the small, strange case. The small strange case that belonged to the tall, handsome man.

Once she got inside, before she even reached the ground, her eyes began to marvel at everything she saw in the room. There were bookshelves, empty medicine viles, full medicine viles, and much more she couldn't even begin to describe. The room was filled with a warm, orange light, like you would get from a candle. The entire place seemed very... homey.

After climbing down the ladder-like wooden pole, she turned around to see Newt's back, who didn't notice her come in. I didn't think I was that quiet, she thought. She opened her mouth to say something, but at first, nothing came out. She just stood there, observing him. He was rubbing a washcloth down his arm, one that was now stained red, and as he put it aside, he began to open a container ad slather something on his arm. While Newt was rubbing it in, ______ decided to speak up.

"Mister Scamander?"