Chapter 16

Over the next few days Johnny improved greatly. The antibiotics kicked in and allowed him to avoid the vent. Dr. Brackett was so pleased with his progress he had promised to let him go home in a few days.

Mike and Lizzy had spent all of their free time together, some of it visiting Johnny. The spaghetti dinner at Mike's home had given them the opportunity to really get to know each other better. So far it seemed that they were fast becoming the perfect couple.

Chet still would not believe that Johnny knew a surfer chick and had not bragged about it, but he had not discussed it with Johnny yet. The engine crew had decided to pay Johnny a visit after lunch today. What they didn't know is that Mike would be bringing that surfer chick with him, but first he was meeting her for a breakfast picnic on the beach.

It was starting out to be a warm day. The sun was bright and hung lazily in a clear blue sky. Mike pulled his truck into the parking area close to Gus' stand and put it in park.

He smiled as he looked over and found Lizzy walking along the breaking waves in a white sun dress that hung almost to the ground, but had a slit up the side which caused it to move more freely with her body. The dress was obviously meant to be beach attire. Her hair blew off her shoulders in the breeze, and she carried a seashell in her hand. She was the picture of a fashion model in one of those magazine spreads of beach attire only to Mike she was far more beautiful.

He slid from the truck and grabbed the basket of food he had prepared for them. It was a simple breakfast of croissants, cheese, fruit and coffee. He knew she watched her weight for her training. To him she didn't need to worry too much about it. She was perfect.

She spotted him as he approached and met him half way. "I have a blanket over at the stand."

"Okay let's get it and go over by those rocks. I think it will be more private if anyone decides to venture out this early," he said taking her arm.

The early morning beach goers were usually runners or walkers or families with small children. They really didn't have to worry about being disturbed, but Mike liked the solitude they would have between the outcroppings of rock. There it would be as if they were all alone in a secluded place. He wanted to be alone with Lizzy, to spend more quality time with her. Mike Stoker was falling in love.

"You smell nice," he whispered closely in her ear. She could feel his warm breath brush across it. Stopping before picking up the blanket she had folded on a picnic table beside her dad's hot dog stand she turned to face him.

She took his hand and pulled him closely looking up into his eyes. With her other hand she reached up and smoothed his hair and placed her hand on the side of his face. After looking deeply into each other's eyes for what seemed like a lifetime he bent down and slowly brushed his lips across hers. Then he sat the basket down and took her in his arms and kissed her again more deeply. She kissed him back wrapping her arms around his neck and playing with his hair.

"Lizzy," he said breathlessly when they finally pulled only a few inches away. "I want...no I need you to be sure this is what you want." She looked into his eyes and smiled. "I mean I'm falling in love with you and..."

She put her finger over his lips, "I'm sure Mike. I've never been more sure. I want to see where this is going." She kissed him lightly, "I'm already in love with you." He pulled her fully into his arms and kissed her again.

"Good, I was hoping you'd say that." A very contented smile crossed his face. "I don't think I would have been able to continue seeing you if you didn't. It would have been too difficult."

"Can you do me a favor?" She asked him as he continued holding her closely.

"Anything."

"Could you call me Beth?" Her gaze lowered. He reached and took her chin in his hand and raised her face back to his and waited for her to explain. "My mother used to call me Beth. No one has called me that since she died back in Hawaii except Johnny. My dad always calls me Lizzy. I know dad loves me, but my mom....well I haven't felt that special kind of love in a very long time. Dad was so hurt when she died. That's why we moved here. He just closed up part of his heart, because it was to painful to remember that kind of love. I would like it if you called me Beth."