Prologue

The sounds of playing waves echoed in my head as I sensed cold salty water tickling my toes. The sun was right above the horizon burning my skin and desire to let the ocean wash away that burning took over all of my other thoughts. I stepped farther down by the wet sand and a new wave covered my feet sending shivers of pleasure by my body. Something made that ringing noise and I realized that it was my own laughter. I peeped through my eyelashes at the ocean’s greenery. I couldn’t help it. My heart already loved it and now my eyes had to find its way into loving this view. On the surface the ocean was of turquoise color caressed by the sunlight and the deeper the rays penetrated the layers of water the more intense the color turned spreading from that bluish-green to emerald.

     I let my eyes wander by the water for another minute and through the daze of my own mind recognized a very sharp pain. I knew it was the time, but I couldn’t bring myself to turn around and commit what I came here for. Instead, I smiled to the sky and stumped my feet jamming my soles into the soft sand. The wave rolled back, smoothly soaking into the ground and I felt another punch into my chest. The force of it blew the breath out of me. Oh! I stepped back and rotated.

     He was staring at me. His eyes resembled the same blue sky as above us, making it seems that beyond those eyes there was nothing else in the world, even the ocean might withered in comparison. They held grief inside, and I knew I could make it go away.

     I stepped closer but he didn’t move. I smiled to him but he didn’t smile back. His suffer tightened around his chest and the moment I needed to take him with me, his lips stretched into a beautiful smile and he stretched his arm towards me. I reached for his hand and our fingers interlaced.

      At his touch I cringed. His skin was warm spreading its warmth on my skin. His feelings became my own betraying my determination. I let my heart listen and uneasy emotion wrapped around me. I squeezed his fingers tighter and spun around playfully. I couldn’t do that, and I couldn’t leave him with this pain. I stopped in front of him and the decision found me. I glanced once again into his eyes admiring that little hope he still possessed behind his anguish, and my own breath faded away.