Prologue

Year Seven takes us into the seventh series of short stories chronicling the adventures of the Jellicle Cats: Prometheus is surprised by first having Melinshade move in with the other teens, and by Nightchaser apologizing and giving him a scrying tile. The Young Warlock still struggles, and finds Mentors in Quaxo, Shadowdancer and Nightchaser. Altaica gives birth to a Tom, naming him Benoni, and receives assurance from Rumblepurr that he will care for them. Macavity tries to lay a siege around the Yard to subjugate the Tribe, but Prometheus takes out his frustration on the Trainees. Sundancer takes Stareye to her Human's home over Shadowdancer's protests. When Shadowdancer tries to bring her back, he ambushed and is nearly killed. When another total Lunar Eclipse arrives, Prometheus finds his power is greatly amplified. When he attempts to impress the Tribe by going after the Aegis, he discovers "Firefyn's Last Stand," the last battle of the Jellicle People. 

      Cettie has a kitten, Estella, much to the surprise and amusement of the Tribe. Altaica moves into Rumblepurr's den. Macavity tries another plot to take revenge on Prometheus by convincing a stray Princess to report on whereabouts - Galatea, Bombalurina's baby half-sister. Rumblepurr asks Altaica if he can court her. Galatea's initial introduction to the Tribe causes lots of Trouble for the Toms, especially Tugger. Shadowdancer agrees to visit Sunny's Humans, and finds the experience is not too bad! The Tugger Twins show signs of growing up in their Father's footsteps-can the Tribe stand three Tuggers? Silvana learns more of her abilities in coping with them. Although Galatea reports to Macavity, she is falling in love with Prometheus. That night, Prometheus gives Galatea a rose, and Alta gives Rumble one. When another Human invades the Yard, he takes Silvana to her Human, Martha. Tugger is not happy about her having a Human Home at all! Galatea finds herself drawn to Prometheus and unwittingly leads him into an ambush. Macavity spirits her away, leaving Prometheus at the mercy of Trainees and Enforcers. After congratulating her, Macavity lets Galatea go. Silvana comes back, and wants to take the kittens to see Martha, and Tugger comes along. Prometheus, who is battered and bloody, visits Munkustrap. He asks the Leader to keep the Tribe away from him for now. 

      Victoria is given one last kitten by Mistoffelees, and she is named Aurora. Far from the Yard, Griddlebone bears another kitten, who she literally gives away to Victor, a horse barn cat. He mission is to take the newborn to the Tribe, and let them raise her. Alcestis takes pity on the kitten, who she names Miranda. The Adults enjoy a bit of fun in the "Battle of Mud Flats!" Demeter sees a vision of Tottenham Court and a new Grizabella, and then the courtship dances. Galatea wanders back in, weary, troubled and looking for Prometheus to take her life. Romances blossom as the Ball approaches, but not until a scare involves Prometheus. For betraying him, he orders Galatea to be executed under his claws. He forgives her when she declares her love for him even as she bares her throat for the killing blow. 

      Exotica, the last of the original Tribe, gives birth to George. The Jellicle Ball arrives, and Munkustrap calls the Jellicles through the influence of the Staff. As the numbers progress, Grizabella shows up in dirty white fur… When the Courtship Dance arrives, Augustus dances with Melinshade, Aphrodite dances with Adonis and finally, Galatea dances with Prometheus. Griddlebone makes another interruption, but leaves without taking the part of Grizabella. Altaica cries during the Courtship dances. Afterward, Jennyanydots dreams of being a Healer, and awakens to find that her arthritis is cured! Demeter dreams as well, and discovers that Aurora is the returned soul of Misty. Jenny returns to the Yard, and finds out that she has become a Healer. Altaica, distraught about the Courtship Dance, decides to dance in the Square, and is surprised when Rumblepurr answers her. Tailkinker has given testimony that she and Brutus shared a memory of the Citadel Battle long ago. In recording it, Rumblepurr discovers his own descendant. 

      Once more, we journey onward into the ongoing events of the Jellicle Tribe, as recorded by Rumblepurr, the Chronicler.

***** Finis *****