Chapter 26

Chilly winter turned to spring's cool showers and budding flowers. And as summer approached, Franklin Middle School prepared for a graduation ceremony.

The children lined up in the old black robes worn one night each year by every preceding generation. Parents filled the fold-out plastic chairs arranged in the school gymnasium. The Pulaski High School band played the graduation march, a rendition of Pomp and Circumstance.

And by the end of the night Renee Pearson found herself face-to-face with LaTasha Washington, with young René in cap and gown beside her mother and father.

George gave her a pleasant-enough greeting and handshake. LaTasha on the other hand brought out her claws, hidden behind a refined charm.

"Miss Pearson," LaTasha said. "Did I hear you got some offers for full pay positions at a couple suburban charter schools? Sounds like a dream come true."

Renee smiled. "I did indeed. Reinholdt Academy offered a tempting position with an even more tempting salary."

LaTasha nodded. "So, as expected, this is goodbye then?"

René Washington looked up at her teacher with a frown.

"I don't think so," Miss Pearson said. "I can say without a doubt, these kids have taught me more this year than I taught them. I can't afford to pass up such an educational experience."

LaTasha blinked twice in surprise.

Miss Pearson reached into her large purse and pulled out a book crafted from construction paper. "I have something for you, actually. For the whole Washington family." She handed the creation over to LaTasha.

George flipped through colorful pages with patches of white paper cut out and taped on, then read the title on the cover. "Our Voice: Poetry and prose by the sixth grade class of Franklin Middle School. In memory of Christopher Douglass Washington." He whistled softly. "René, you have a poem in here?"

LaTasha flipped the book open and found René's poem on the first page. She read aloud.

You Can't Have Him, by René Washington

I remember when I first heard

My mother tell me the sad word

"My son! They killed my son today"

LaTasha's breath caught and she swallowed hard. George angled the book toward him and put an arm around his wife to support her. He continued where she'd left off.

I did not know what I should say

I don't know any reason why

My big brother had to die

Or why police took him away

I thought about what I should say

I'm just a little girl, you see

And no one's gonna listen to me

But if I were to have my way

I know what I would like to say

To the policeman who took Chris away:

You can't have him!

Your angry voice don't sound so tough

Your guns and bullets aren't enough

You took his life, took him away

But in my heart, he'll always stay