" recorded memories " 2nd part

Start from the beginning

"and then..." the woman paused for dramatic effect.

"... she saved her precious siblings, those who she loved so much.. and they lived happily ever after.." yuri was shocked to hear the ending coming from his own mouth, as if he knew the story so well. he paused the video for some time, just staring at the dimly lit room with five children in their beds and listening to a made-up story about a girl who saves her siblings from the world.

he shook his head and clicked on another video.

the glitch was even more now, and he could hardly hear anything audible. but then the glitch stopped and there showed a scenery of a park, a pale yellow picnic blanket under a big shade of a tree. there were food and drinks on the blanket as well as the five of them on it, eating happily.

"...boys, do you have any dreams you want to achieve?" the woman asked, catching the five children's attention. the five of them stopped eating and viktor spoke up first, "i want to be a figure skater! like, i'll be so great at ice skating that i'll be a living legend!" and he bit on the sandwich he was holding.

"alright, that's a really great dream! i'm sure you'll achieve it someday!" she said, and yuri felt the smile on her face. "what about you, chris?"

"i'll be a model!" chris said proudly while putting both his hands on his hips, staining his blue shirt with his food. "i will be a super model and everyone will love me because i'm pretty!"

"and you, georgi?"

"i'll be an interpre...tataive...tive..." georgi stuttered, trying to pronounce the word 'interpretative'. "w-whatever! i'll be a dancer and everyone will know i can be both a witch and at the same time, a harmless ruler through my moves!"

"oh~, that's a really nice dream! jean?"

"i'll also be a figure skater, and if viktor does become a living legend, i will be the one to surpass him! i will take his crown and i'll be the new living legend!" jean said with a big smile, holding his juice pouch up.

"nice! and you, yuratchka?"

"..." three year old yuri was silent for a moment and then he spoke up, "i want to be a doctor like you, big sister."

"why a doctor?" chris asked, "you hardly clean your wounds when you trip and scrape your knees."

"i want to be able to help sick people with medicine, guacamole!" yuri spat back and munched on his food, "you told us you want to be a model and i didn't complain about it!"

"t-that's a really nice dream, yuratchka. you really think of others too, huh?" the woman interrupted. "i'll look forward to it, then! and when you became a doctor, you'll give me free checkups, okay?"

"i will!" yuri never saw himself smile so big.

and then the video came to an end. yuri looked at his reflection in the small screen of the video camera. he started to remember the pain those happy memories have.

***
the next day, yuri decided to watch more of the videos he found inside a video camera that surprisingly functioned well despite being old and kept in its bag for who knows how long. he opened the video camera and searched through the videos. as he was about to watch another, his cat hit its head against yuri's arm, accidentally making yuri click on another video.

yuri didn't know, though, as he was looking at his cat who seemed to act a little weirder that day. he shrugged it off and looked at the video.

"is it on?"

"i don't know! vitya, how do you make a thing like this work?"

"i don't know, either, but i often watch big sister fiddle with it!"

the video was pitch black but yuri could hear the same children voices he had heard before.

"okay okay. i managed to make things visible here!" the video was a little messy and move-y. it was making yuri really dizzy.

"okay, i heard big sister's room was number 44! let's head there now and give her a surprise!" viktor, who looked a little older, maybe a little around 10, rushed towards the white hallways, and chris, who seemed to be the same age as viktor, came running second.

"wait for me!" jean-jacques, the 9-year old, ran after the other two while georgi, who was the one holding the camera, kept walking.

"yuri, let's hurry. it won't be fair!" georgi said and started to fasten his pace.

***

the first half of the video was the five children making their way towards room 44, so yuri fast-forwarded it to the time where they finally reached the 44th room.

"here we are!" viktor said happily while he had his hands on his hips proudly. "no knockings! we're gonna barge in like burglars!"

"that sounds ridiculous, viktor. what if big sister is resting and we just barge in and we interrupt her rest?" jean-jacques said with his arms crossed, "let's all just go inside after knocking three times."

"fine. yuri, you do the knocking."

five year old yuri made his way in front of the wooden door and he then knocked on the door three times, before twisting its cold doorknob open. slowly, the youngest opened the door, tiptoeing a little since he was a little shorter. he was 6 at that time.

the inside room was different than the white hallways with people. the room was more peaceful and quieter, the only noise was the beeping noises from a machine.

"big sister!" viktor called with a big smile on his face. "we came to visit you!"

the girl on the bed slowly sat up and smiled upon seeing the five children. it was the girl that yuri never once tried to forget; mila babicheva. her hair was short as ever and it made her look prettier. her skin complexion still made her look younger, because she still was.

georgi placed the video camera on a stool a little farther from them so the camera can see them talk and have fun. it was fun. but mila was in the hospital.

and before they knew it, she left her precious younger siblings.

yuri remembered the day mila passed away. he was 9 and still did not understand what it was like to have a beloved die.

viktor and the other three understood very well, the reason why they cried on her funeral.

"..viktor? where is big sister going? why is she being lowered on the ground."

"...hey, chris, where's big sister?"

"...jean? georgi?"

he was too young to understand.

***

this is edited, but still not fully edited. whenever i have more time, i will fix their ages and such, thank you for your kind consideration.

also, another note: thank you all for the 1.2k reads. it is highly appreciated. more one shots will be out soon, requests are open, two at a time. have a good day!