Timeline Adjustments

Barry decided to take the day for himself and Melody. He wanted to see what had changed in their lives, if she had been alive, but Parker hadn't made it.

He took Melody to the apartment, their home, and, for once, it didn't hurt to be in there. Everywhere he looked, he saw Parker, but it felt almost happier now, knowing he didn't have to face it entirely alone. 

Setting the diaper bag on the couch, Barry shifted Melody into one arm and ventured into their bedroom. He took a seat at the computer desk. To access the flash drive, all he had to do was open the computer. The files were already open. 

Melody started grabbing at the strings of his jacket, bored in her father's arms. Barry reached for the crib beside the desk and unhooked the hanging toys above it. He wiggled it in front of Melody, distracting her so he could watch the video Parker left for him. 

"So, Barry Allen, if you're watching this, I suppose I'll have to explain exactly why I'm making you do so. Basically, this flash drive is Parker Central. I put together every photo or video I could find of us, and Mel. I wrote little letters for everyone on our team. I have some for my family, too. I guess the point of me making this was for when you miss me, so you're always able to come back here to see me in action, or remember some moments between us..."

Using the crib toy as a distraction was pointless the minute Melody registered it was her mother's voice. She dropped the arrangement from her hands and reached for the computer. She made noises. It was clear she recognized Parker, and wanted her. 

Barry tilted the computer screen for Melody to watch along with him. He bounced her softly on his lap, pressing a short kiss to the top of her head. 

"Uh, I guess I can talk, tell you where we're at," said Parker. She showed her ring. "We're married. I proposed first, on Christmas. We went and got married the same day, since everyone was already together and all.

We spoke about getting a dog to substitute for a kid, but it didn't end up happening. I got pregnant fast. No pun intended, I guess. We were excited to be married. Can't blame us, you know? So we had Mel a couple months later. It was your fault she was premature. You ran with me for a few seconds to get me away from one of the meta's, which sent my body into a panic, and I had her early. She pulled through, though. She is tiny and healthy, and a pain in my ass, but we love her more than anything. 

Don't get me wrong, I will probably always have regrets about subjecting a child to a life without me, but who knows? The prophecy could be wrong. I could live. But, on the chance I don't, I should say some goodbyes to you, my love. 

I'm not scared to die. Know that. I'm only scared about what it's going to do to you and Melody. I worry about you a lot. I worry about what's going to happen to you after I'm gone. 

I need you to know that you have to get your ass back out there. No matter what happens to me, you have a duty to this city. I know you have Melody to think about now. I know that, if I go, you'll worry about being taken from her, too. You're never alone, Bar. She's never going to be alone. You have to get that through your head. But you also have to be safe when you're the Flash, so she doesn't have to live a life without her parents.

You can't quit being a hero, being who you are, because you lose me, okay? Are you rolling your eyes? I feel like you're rolling your eyes. My Barry senses are in tune all the time. I felt that one.

I don't know where I was going with this. Inspirational message maybe? It seems like it's time for that. So, Barry, I love you. I don't have to tell you that. I should thank you for every little touch, every memory, every laugh. Any moments I got to share with you was a joy. But, most of all, I thank you for giving me our beautiful girl. I'm forever in your debt for changing my mind about having a baby. I've never loved you more than when I first saw you hold her. You're going to be a wonderful father, baby, with or without me. Remember that.

 I'm sorry that this had to happen. I hope I went peacefully? I hope no one, especially you or Melody had to witness it. 

You once said it was going to be easy leaving you, that I'm not the one who has to live with what happened. And you're entirely right. All I have to do is die. But the problem is leaving you in a good shape. I want you to do everything you wished of doing. I want to leave and make sure you have no regrets. This is more about you and Melody being okay than me.

Whatever happens, know that I am proud of you. I'll always be. You're a remarkable man. It was an honor to be able to love, and be loved, with someone who has a heart like yours. I wish you the very best, in both your everyday life, and in the Flash world. Know that, at the end of the day, if you've saved people, it was never the wrong decision. That's what you were born to do. Being the Flash makes you happy. Don't ever stop. Use that brain of yours, think of every possible angle, execute the WWPD move. Think like me and nothing can go wrong. And most of all: don't change time for me..."

"Too late," sighed Barry. 

Melody watched her mother smile on the screen, generating a smile from the baby herself. She looked up to her father, almost as if she was ensuring his smile, then continued to giggle at her mother. 

"...I don't know what else to say, really. I'll wrap up, I guess. I want you to know I'm still there, even if I'm gone. In your heart, in our songs, the Cortex, this flash drive. You can find me in our daughter anytime you need. Whenever you miss me, I'm never too far. I promise you that you can always come home to me. You'll always find me, somewhere, if you look hard enough."

Melody reached for the screen. Frowning, Barry took her hands and enclosed them in his own. He hugged her against his chest. 

"...all right, baby. This is it. I love you, again. I love you always. Make your mother and I proud. Take care of our baby girl, yeah?"

"Always," promised Barry. 

He kept one hand on Melody's waist and used the other to click out of the video. He scrolled through the remaining files on the flash drive. He noticed similar things to the files he remembered. The only changes were more photos and a video addressed for Melody. He didn't bother to open it, figuring he would safe some of his heart for the remainder of the day. 

From the floor, Barry swept up the crib toy. He gave it back to her, just to take it back when he noticed that it hadn't been bought from a store. Five plush toys hung from it: a stethoscope, a seashell, a lightning bolt, an arrow, and a hat that resembled Indiana Jones' entirely too accurately. 

"Indiana Jones was probably your first movie," guessed Barry, raising his eyebrow at Melody. "If it wasn't, it will be."

He hooked the hanging toy back on the hook. Also hanging from the hook was a circular locket, blue trim underneath a silver design pattern that came together in a flower in the center. Engraved at the bottom were his daughter's initials. The closer he looked, he noticed his own were on the side, and Parker's across from his. Barry clicked it open. 

My Melody,

My love for you will forever withstand the test of time. 

On the other side of the locket was a photo of Parker and Melody. Both girls were laying down, though Parker was awake, but barely. She had a finger wrapped in Melody's hand. She watched her daughter sleep with the most severe case of heart eyes. Her smile was without teeth, her hair was in a terribly messy bun, and she looked exhausted, but none of it mattered. Anyone could look at the photo and see the complete adoration for her baby. 

"Mommy loved you so much," Barry told Melody, brushing her curls from her eyes. 

He looked between the crib, where he was supposed to be setting her down for the afternoon nap, and the door. He bit his lip in deep thought, then shrugged. 

"Yeah, you can sleep in the car. Let's go take a trip, kid," he decided.