chapter seventeen: [divine move]

Start from the beginning

    A door creaked open next to us, and I only looked up for a split second, seeing a dazed Scott leaving the Sheriff's office. Questioning. I took in a deep breath, standing up for my turn in the chair. Scott gave me a single look, before his lips parted to speak. Deciding against it, I guess, he took my previous seat.

   Sheriff stood in front of the door, giving me a tight smile as I walked past him, slowly sitting in front of his desk. A deputy stood next to it, the white lettering on his tag spelling Parrish.

   Sheriff shut the door and eventually made his way to his seat, the wheels on it moving as he sat. He moved closer to the table, arms placed on top of it as he leaned in.

    "Now, Indigo- I understand that talking right now might not be ideal, but if we're going to help, I'm going to need as much information as possible."

I bit my lip and nodded, my hair falling over my face. I sniffled and moved it frantically, putting it behind my ear.

      "I- It..." I tried to say. "It was-"

Nothing. Absolutely nothing. I remembered everything Argent had told me and saying had seemed, at least, do-able at the time. But now, sitting here with expectations of talking about what had just happened? Indigo McCall was anything but ready.

    Daringly, my head shot up for the first in hours, meeting soft gazes with the Sheriff. He looked hopeful for me to speak, before his face fell when he watched my face move from stoic to trembling as I felt my lips curl.

      "She-" I blubbered, swiping my fingers under my nose as I sniffled once more. My head shook frantically, erratically. "I- I can't- She-"

    The sound of wheels moving and the Sheriff getting up moved me to stand up as I heard Sheriff make his way to my side of the desk. Both of our arms outstretched as they met in a warm embrace, one I didn't know I needed. My back racked in sobs, stilling when Sheriff's hand soothingly rubbed it up and down, patting. His other hand held the back of my head as I sobbed into his shoulder, probably drenching his uniform. I clutched the back of his shirt, holding on so I wouldn't fall to the floor.

      Broken.

×

      Scott opened the door to the veterinarian, meeting Deaton who held open the door of the mountain ash fence that distanced the main room and the examination room. I walked next to Lydia, hand in hand.

      Scott lead us to the back as Deaton turned to face us. "Kira and Stiles said it was the Nemeton that kept it trapped."

"The problem is," Deaton sighed. "This isn't even a person you're fighting. It just looks like one. It's a spirit that has taken the shape of a human."

       "The shape of my best friend." Scott nodded. I felt Lydia squeeze my hand reassuringly.

"Someone caught it once. Someone can do it again, right?" Lydia raised her eyebrows at Deaton.

      "I don't know." Deaton shook his head. "This thing was trapped a long time ago, before the Nemeton was cut down. It doesn't have the same power anymore."