:E:

Kevin and I sat on the tyre swing in our backyard, our father cooked on the barbeque. He never was any good at cooking, and had too much pride to let Mom cook for him. So we grew up learning to savour dry to the bone steaks which were more burnt than anything else. He wore a cheesy apron that said : I use beer when I’m cooking, but it never goes in the food. Our mother sat on the grass with a lawn chair, drinking lemonade and fanning herself with the rolled up newspaper she’d been reading. I’d been told I looked like her when she was younger, dark blonde hair and big grey eyes. I had my father’s rose hued lips.

Kevin looked like our father, burnt chocolate hair and nice sea glass green eyes.

The phone rang, echoing through the window’s we’d opened earlier in the day.

I ran to get it, huffing when I got there.

“Hello Eve here?”

“Want to do something today Mcfly? Mike is over and won’t stop complaining how many fucking times we’ve watched The Walking Dead already” He sighed.

Um – my families having a cook out, a barbeque” I shrugged, my nervous chatter had gotten vastly better.

“Be there in ten, address?” He asked.

I gave it too him and we hung up.

I walked outside, my feet sinking into the luscious grass my mother had planted when we first bought the house. I sat back on the tyre swing with Kevin both of us swaying.

“I invited some friends over” I said to my mother, she heard it. She had the phenomenal hearing when it came to me.

“Oh that’s wonderful hun” He mother sighed, flicking up the sunglasses shading her eyes to look at me and smile.

“They’ll be here soon”

“Lets hope they don’t mind charred steak” Kevin chuckled and I laughed along with him, the sun hitting my face.