Chapter Twenty Two

Lilly took Rhylan back into the room where everyone was waiting. Jarron and Sorcha were telling the group funny stories about their youth and they all turned to the couple when they appeared. Sam had a questioning look on his face as Lilly said, "This is Rhylan, he is the Prince of Fairhaven and he was the one who saved me from the hunters." Robyn opened her mouth in a big "Oh" as Shannon looked between the two. Rhylan had his hand on her waist and was smiling at everyone. She wondered if this savior was a bit more to Lilly than just that. Lilly went on to say, "Rhylan, this is Robyn, Shannon, Ryan and Sam. They are my human family". Sam grunted at that comment and said, "We are YOUR family Lilly, human or no. I'm sure Rhylan can appreciate that." Jarron could see some animosity growing so he cleared his throat and said, "Rhylan and I have been friends since childhood. In fact, in a way he and Lilly have known each other since childhood too." This made the group perk up. Lilly didn't feel like talking so she let Jarron and Sorcha tell the story. Rhylan jumped in on occasion to jest with Jarron when he told their stories.

Lilly watched the group as they laughed and got to know each other. The last 36 hours had been crazy. She had just been blissfully happy, laying in the cave with Rhylan thinking their lives would be filled with love, joy, and adventure.  Now she was being faced with the possibility that everyone had lied to her, that everyone was using her to fight some evil force she knew nothing about. She didn't know who to trust anymore. She looked at her friends and wondered how she was going to keep them safe. The faeries at court would question their presence and possibly even treat them poorly. Would they ever be able to go home? She felt Sam's eyes staring into her and she turned to look at him. He cocked his head to the side and raised his eyebrows. She shook her head as if to say, "We aren't discussing this" and looked away. She needed to get out of this room. She needed to get away and think. As she was trying to figure out how to get away, Ashley and Angela came into the room. Ashley went around the room and gave everyone hugs and said, "I am so relieved you are OK. William tried so hard to find you. We are lucky Lilly got there in time. Sam, Ryan if you are feeling better we can move you to your room. It is next to Shannon and Robyns". Lilly took this as a good opportunity to sneak away. The group gathered themselves and followed Ashley down the hall. Lilly followed behind creating a gap between them and snuck down the other end of the hall and out the back door. It was cold and snowy outside but she had her new cape with her still. She wrapped herself up and headed towards the garden.

Sam was following Ashley down the hall listening to the girls chat with Jarron and Sorcha. Lilly's brother Mathen was walking next to Rhylan and they were whispering. They made it to his bedroom door and he turned to look for Lilly but she was gone. Rhylan noticed him and turned to look for himself. His eyebrows crunched together with worry and he bit his lip. Sam didn't get these people. They kidnapped her and brainwashed her into thinking she was some faery savior and it made him sick. He had to get to her and talk some sense into her. He looked at Rhylan again and said, "I hope she gets far away from here, away from all of you. I know you brain washed her and I plan to help her see the truth." Rhylan growled and said back, "We aren't monsters and we would never do that to her. She is revered and admired in this realm. All I want to do is protect her from the dark forces that seek to harm her." Sam laughed under his breath and said, "So you say, but I think you staged everything to get her here and I'm going to prove it. In the meantime, stay away from her." He followed Ryan into their room and turned around to stare Rhylan down. They stood there in silence sizing each other up. Sam turned back to the room and closed the door.

Rhylan was furious. How could this human boy accuse he and his family of brainwashing Lilly. He didn't know what he was talking about and should really keep his mouth shut. He also couldn't believe Sam was telling him to stay away from her. There was no way that was going to happen. He wondered if Sam knew they were married. Actually, he wondered if any of her friends knew. He thought more about it and realized Lilly probably hadn't said anything. She was so angry with everyone that she probably kept that information to herself. Yet, did she keep that information to herself for other reasons? The way Sam had looked at her when they were in the room together. He knew the boy had feelings for her. Was she hiding the marriage from him because she felt the same way? No, that couldn't be it. She had told him she only thought of Sam as a friend, but, with everything that had happened did she change her mind? He had to find her and talk to her about it. He wasn't sure where she went though and with her blocking him from reading her mind he didn't think he could find her thru their bond anymore. He decided to try the roof first. That was where she went when she needed to think. He started off down the hall.