Chapter Twelve: Nightclub

Start from the beginning

I almost lost my footing under me but Duncan was beside me in an instant and steadied my balance.

"Easy whirlwind; you may be feeling better but that fight still took a lot of fight out of you. You should probably lie back down."

I sighed and shook my head.

"I don't want to lie back down; I need to make sure-"

"-London's fine; she came in about an hour ago and wanted to tell you about the game but she saw you passed out and decided she'd tell you in the morning. Tara called and left you a voicemail, saying she would be back by Monday from home and your mom is sending something back for you with her. Your stepmother called too and left a voicemail saying she had a big dinner with a publicist for her book next week and wanted to invite you."

I should've been furious at Duncan for going through my phone and voicemails, and to add to the growing pile, my thoughts, but the calming angel energy that fluttered through me made me only sigh and lay back down.

"I need to be more prepared Duncan...I can't go into stuff blindsided like that again...those demons, they could've ripped me apart if it had been like the first time."

Duncan was quiet and took a seat in my computer chair across from me.

His eyes studied a picture in his hand that he'd slipped out of the album. He narrowed his eyes towards the floor and gritted his teeth.

"Naomi, they would never get the chance to touch you."

I watched Duncan carefully. His fingers quivered in certainty and his eyes watched my picture, as if expecting it to change.

"I still need to know Duncan. What if something happens and you're too far to protect me?"

Suddenly his head snapped up and he stepped towards me, cupping my face in his hands. My mortal side began to take over and my heart began to thrum in my chest. My tongue turned dry and I tried to calm myself.

"I will never be too far to protect you; I've been there for the last nineteen years of your life, not counting when your mother was pregnant. Nothing will ever stop me from keeping you safe, Naomi." Duncan stressed and my shivering limbs fell still but this time it wasn't the divine in me. It was the emotional rollercoaster going on inside of my body.

Sure it was a little strange knowing Duncan had been around my entire life but was only just now making himself known to me. I was suddenly being sucked into that state again; the one where everything was getting piled up and the information made me feel as though I were drowning.

"Duncan listen, I know all of this stuff is really important but is it possible for us to just...I don't know. Forget about it all for a few days. I think after the last week or so I've had, some normalcy and mortal thoughts could do me a world of good." I insisted softly but gently took his hand in mine, so he would understand just how urgently I needed this slight bit of humanity to help me hold onto the place where he was hoping my mind would've already been prepared for.

I'd thought maybe he would object to this, but the soft and understanding smile that grinned on his lips made me grin too.

"Yeah, I think we can handle that."

I smiled and moved away towards the bathroom.

"Well...I'm bound to be in a lot of trouble with Levi so hanging out with him is out of the question...Tara went home for the weekend. I'm sure London isn't in the mood for any more excitement." I mumbled and pulled a sweater on over my shirt, realizing it was growing colder by the hour.

Duncan looked up at me and smiled, the star-like flecks in his eyes seemed to beam with the same radiance as his grin.

"I have an idea."