flo + daniel

«vanilla by leigh_»

contrary to the story title, flaniel makes my heart melt.

It was the second week into summer, and Daniel already has had quite enough of ever-demanding tourists and the sweltering summer heat. Despite the warnings imposed on him by his mum, he had been so confident he could take on the three jobs he was offered.

   The older population at Walden had always thought of him as “the decent kid” among his group of friends in the area. As soon as they assumed he’d be capable of handling the minor jobs, they jumped at the idea almost instantly.

   Slowly inching towards leaving Walden for college, he took his chances. Yet only the lack of sleep, and his aching shoulders can explain otherwise.

    “Daniel!”

     His head snaps up and he can feel the side of his cheek, damp with what only could be his own drool. “Sorry, Anna. I was just taking a break. Sorry,” he mumbles, tripping over his own two feet whilst trying to make his way out of the rec room.

     “Eric’s shift is almost over, you should go take the front desk,” Anna’s expression softens, as if understanding what he was going through.

     He nods, a little light-headed from the sudden action. He checks the list of reservations left for the night, and sighs with relief. Right on time, a gust of cold wind enters the lobby only occupied by him on the counter.

     A woman who could not have been ten years older than he was struggles whilst cradling a wailing baby in her arms. “Flo,” she sighs. “Be a dear and go check-in for us, please?”

     Daniel can feel his breath hitch as he sees the girl come in through the door, trolley in hand. She nods, and makes her way over to the counter. he watches her pull the bag further onto her shoulder, and the way her hair slightly falls in her face as she keeps her head down, walking towards him.    

   “Reservation for Nora Kennedy, please?” she says, sliding a piece of paper before him. He smiles at her, like he’s supposed to, and types in the codes written on the paper.

     “So,” he squints at the screen. “Room 213. That’s on the second floor,” he instructs, turning around to take a room key from the hooks behind him. “It’s to the right once you exit the lift.”

     Her eyebrows knit and she slowly turns to the woman holding the baby. “Nora, don’t I have my own room?”

     Nora gasps. “Oh! I’m sorry, Flo! Is there a spare room?” Through her expression, Daniel can see the panic surfacing on Flo’s face. It was summer after all, when Walden was busiest all throughout the year.      

But as she turns around to face him, Daniel’s already searching for an unoccupied room. “There’s one on the fourth floor, would you like to take it?”

     She lets go of a breath. “Yes, please.”

       “However, something’s gone wrong with the lift in that area of the hotel. It’s temporarily unavailable on your floor. So the fire exit is the only way to go.”

     “Anything is good with me.” She leans forward, giving him a stern look. His breathing is put to a stop, and his palms are beginning to sweat. “Because trust me, the baby wakes at ungodly hours and this aunty hasn’t got any proper sleep in the past eight months.”

     He smiles. “Room 401. It’s at the end of the hall from the fire exit.” He hands her the keys and their hands brush ever so lightly, but it’s already enough to send tingles down his spine.