Chapter Eleven: The Vawerth

Start from the beginning

I shook my head and pushed forward once more; the feeling grew heavier and harsher with the closer I got to whatever was preparing to cause the disaster.

Suddenly I felt a hand grab my arm from behind and I planted my feet firmly, preparing to turn around and punch whoever was trying to stop me but as I drew my fist back and spun around I saw it was only Duncan. I sighed and relaxed some at the sight of him, but it didn't let any of my tension release.

"We need to get you out of here." Duncan explained seriously; as serious as he was the night outside of the coffee shop.

"What? Why?"

"They're coming for you. Let's go." He insisted and took my hand firmly but gingerly as he pulled me through the crowds.

"What? Who's coming?" I asked, and felt my eyes grow round. My last experience with an unholy creature hadn't been necessarily pleasurable.

"The vawerth. They're a brand of Demon that's not all powerful but they're more powerful than the kribas."

I suddenly felt as though Duncan was speaking another language and I gave him a look as though he had four heads. He sighed and explained while still dragging me along.

"Just like how there are different ranks of angels there are different ranks of demons. The least strongest are the Kribas; they're reincarnated souls who work as messengers for Lucifer. Then there are the Vawerth, they have powers to create chaos and destruction but they aren't usually blood-thirsty. Then of course there are Lilith's children."

"What're they?" I questioned, trying to keep the whimper out of my voice. We finally came to a stop just outside the stadium as Duncan glanced around; I couldn't tell if he was looking for enemies or just looking for an escape route.

Duncan grew quiet for a minute and stared at me very seriously.

I suddenly felt the dread like feeling consume me whole, to a point where my body buzzed with the energy. I felt a shudder run over my spine and Duncan's eyes widened. He looked around and suddenly I caught a glimpse of them.

They looked like normal people at first glance, but after a few moments, you could see the differences in their appearances. They had much sharper and dramatic features as well as vividly bright eyes varying in shades of violet and red. There were four of them; one woman three men. They wore clothes that made them look as though they'd just walked out of an interview for GQ or VOGUE. Also I noticed their skin was pale and nearly translucent. You could see the power they had humming under their paper thin skin as if it were their pulses.

Duncan pushed me behind him again. I wanted to push my way back around him and hold my own ground but something about the look in the creatures eyes made me want to turn and run in the other direction.

Their eyes looked so pained and merciless and worst of all...they looked starved. Nearly ravenous.

The male in the front, who was flanked by the female on his left, came about a foot from Duncan and I saw his muscles ripple with a challenge. A grotesque smile spread over his jagged teeth.

"Duncan; it seems we meet again."

"Not on pleasant terms I'm afraid." Duncan growled softly.

"They never are, old friend." The female laughed and brushed her long white hair behind her shoulders.

"What do you want?" Duncan snarled and I saw his hand flinch towards his belt. I then noticed he had a dagger slung to his belt loop. I felt myself suddenly begin to shake.

"We've come to see The Arête." The man at the front grinned again.

"You're such a damned liar, Felvius." Duncan hissed and the man; Felvius, grinned ruefully as his crimson eyes flashed.