Family

Lilith-17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"When Someone you love becomes a memory, the memory becomes a treasure."

-Anonymous

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            When Lilith found this locket resting by her mothers side the day after the storm, She expected a picture of her mother to be inside. There would have been no reason for anything else to be found, but nothing could be any different than what she was looking at it right now. She couldn't remove her eyes from a photo of a family that looked vaguely familiar. In the back stood a older looking man, and next to him stood a woman from Lilith's planet, looking down at her two children. There stood one human boy; his brown hair a complete mess. And next to him was a young girl from this planet, maybe 4, while the boy looked 3. 

         However, once she took a closer look at the woman's dress, she instantly remembered why this picture is so  familiar. She couldn't believe that she didn't notice earlier and that she could have been so naive. The mother was undoubtedly Lizabeth, but that was nothing compared to what she soon started to realize. Tears blurred her vision once she noticed how much that little girl looked like herself. 

      All these years of despising humans; of wanting to destroy them....It was almost impossible to believe that she might have been related one of them!  She forced her eyes shut and refused to look at the locket again. 

     She nearly threw it against the wall when she heard a loud crash coming from right  outside her shelter. The sound made her jump to her feet, and nearly made her knock over the bucket on her way to the door. Lilith reluctantly started to lift it up before peeking out to see what had happened just a few seconds ago. 

        Smoke made it hard to see what was in front of her, but she was able to make out a small shuttle, with little orange flames forming around the edges.

"Hello!" She called out, half expecting someone to respond. When no one answered, She slowly walked through the thick air and stopped once she was standing before the ship. The entrance seemed to be propped open by a piece of metal that broke off of the ship,  and looked as if it was stuck. 

        Lilith reached down to try and move the rod over, but it scorched her hand at the touch. She instantly drew her hand back and shook it before trying something else. She saw that her pants were already torn at the bottom, and made the decision to tear a few pieces off. Granted the cloth was extremely thin, but it was her only option besides leaving whoever was inside to burn.

           She wrapped it around her hands and once again reached down to the burning hot metal. She could feel the heat reaching her fingers, but she still kept pulling. The rod kept refusing to budge, but she refused to stop trying to help the only living being she might see for the rest of her life.

          "Please..." Lilith closed her eyes and thought of all the people that died; of all the people she lost because of the humans.  She would't  open her eyes until the door was free to open, and someones bloody hand poked out from under it. She pushed it open to find a young human boy with brown hair  that looked like a mess. If she had to guess he looked almost her age, maybe a year or two younger. And she knew perfectly well who he was.

        "H...Hel..P...Me..." He said in a raspy voice.

        Lilith studied the person lying in front of her before carefully picking him up and removing him from the broken shuttle. She could hardly feel anything since blisters covered her hands, but it was blatantly noticeable that his body would have burned up if she left him in there any longer. 

              When she arrived at the shelter she used her boots to open the door, and her free hand to close it back up. Once they were inside Lilith looked over toward the corner of the room, and found herself staring at her mothers bed. As she walked over to it she realized that it hadn't been touched in a little over a decade, but now comforted a young human who fell from the sky. 

             She had already placed him on the cloth, but now was forced to find a way to fix the burns before they got infected. The blisters already started to form on his arms and legs, while his body turned into a burnt red. She already started searching through her bag for some oil to ease the pain, but her mind kept drifting off topic. Just the fact that this man in front of her looked almost exactly like the boy in the picture was almost enough to make her lose her mind.

           "He...help.." His eyes slowly drifted open, but he still blinked too much for her too see if there was any actual damage up there.

          " Hold on, I'm trying to help you." She pulled out the ointment and started to rub it on his skin.

        " Who..are.....y-" Lilith covered his mouth before he could finish talking, hoping that he would rest up.

         "......I'm going to help....."