Goodbye Flashpoint

Start from the beginning

"Me, too, Nate," mumbled Barry. 

Parker sighed, "Bar, we should go."

Barry agreed. He said a final goodbye to the kids, to his parents, then he slipped his hand into Parker's opened palm and followed her from the house. If he hadn't let her lead, it was possible he would have never left. 

Down the stairs, Barry missed the last step, due to a sudden and quick migraine. He relived memories with his parents, scenes from his childhood, then they were gone. 

"Barry?" asked Parker. 

"It's getting worse. We have to hurry before it's too late," he said hurriedly. 

Barry swept her into his arms, then took off running to the warehouse where his last hope resided. When he exited the Speed Force, it wasn't possible for him to walk on his own anymore. He was forced to lean on Parker as they entered the warehouse and approached Eobard's cell. 

"Having a bad day, Bar?" asked Eobard. He squinted through the cell bars, then grinned. "Oh, if it isn't the late Mrs. Allen!

"I was told I hyphenated, actually," said Parker. 

An amused sparkle twinkled in his eye. "Still got the same spunk to you that the other one did. Interesting."

"We need to go back in time," said Barry, shaking his head to get rid of his blurry vision. He clarified, "To that night."

"To do what?" asked Eobard. 

"You know what I need you to do."

"Yeah, but I wanna hear you say it."

"I need you to kill my mother."

"With pleasure."

Barry growled, "I hate you."

"And I hate you," said Eobard cheerfully. "I sometimes wonder which of us is right."

Barry let go of Parker to unlock the cell. Eobard strutted out, snatching his ring from Barry as he passed by. He spaced himself out from the couple. 

Softly, Barry said, "I'm so sorry about all of this."

"I know," said Parker, giving him a small smile. She rested her hand against his cheek, using the other one to fix the stray hairs on his head. She did actions to avoid his eyes. "Sometimes, all of us need to be a little selfish. Yours just was a little extreme."

"You're not gonna know when it changes back, if it helps. It'll be like it never happened. You won't be missing me, and neither will the kids," tried Barry. 

She met his eyes, no longer able to hold it off. "You should know I'm thankful for the little piece of time my kids got with some version of their father."

"So am I," whispered Barry. 

"Yeah," she mumbled. 

He waited for her to slip her hands from his face. He watched her, admiring anything and everything about her. To him, this was the closest to a true goodbye he was going to get. He made sure to commit the feel of her hand on his skin to memory. He could look at pictures of her face and never forget;  it was her touch that he was scared to forget. 

"Parker," he said, before he could think about what he was asking. 

"Barry," she whispered. 

"Parker, when I get back... She's not going to be there ever again. I don't get another chance to see her. This might be stupid, or too much to ask, but, can I just--"

Then, she popped up on her tip toes and connected their lips. He kissed her as if it was the end of the world, because, to him, that's what it felt like. He soaked in the feel of their lips together. It was as if she never passed away. It was better than words, to be stuck in the familiar euphoria generated when they kissed. 

Knowing Barry couldn't, Parker was forced to break the kiss. She wrapped her arms around his neck. She felt his arms do the same around her waist. He lifted her onto his shoes, rocking them slightly. 

Smiling, she said, "I hope that's what you wanted, otherwise this would be very awkward."

"It was everything I wanted," he whispered. 

Parker broke away, delivering a final kiss to his cheek. She ordered, "Go home, now. Try to be happy, okay, Barry?"

Barry tried to smile for her. "Yeah."

He turned. He started to walk, then tried to run. He didn't make it, nor did the Speed Force attempt to help him gain speed. He tripped. 

Eobard Thawne grabbed him by his hood. Staring distastefully at his archenemy, he groaned, "God, I wish I could kill you... But, right now, I get to be the hero."

Before Barry knew it, he was back on the porch steps of the West House, at the exact moment where he left. The books Parker had written for him were still stacked on the porch railing. He ran his fingers over them longingly. Seeing those books was a sure confirmation of what he hoped might change. It shattered what was left of Barry's heart. 

"There. Everything's back to the way it should be. For me, anyway. For you..." said Eobard, faking a wince."Well, I guess you'll just have to wait and find out. See you sometime soon, Flash!"

Eobard's departure allowed Barry to return back inside. He saw Joe, then Wally, and he hugged both of them tightly, after he set Parker's goodbye books down safely on the coffee table.

"What's this for?" asked Wally awkwardly. 

"Just glad you're here," sighed Barry. 

"Are you okay?" wondered Wally. 

Barry took a seat, nodding. 

"You just lost your wife and your father, Barry," reminded Joe. "You don't have to be okay."

"Actually, I feel closer to them than I ever have," he admitted. 

Joe held up his liquor. "To your Pops and your wife."

"To your Pops and Park," agreed Wally. 

"To my amazing father and my beautiful girl," sighed Barry. He drank the rest of his liquor, rejoicing at the burning feeling in his chest. What a relief it was to know he could still feel. "Where's Iris?"

Joe slammed his glass on the table, then stormed upstairs, after saying, "That ain't funny. I'm gonna chalk that up to grief. I'll see you three in the morning."

"What was that about?" wondered Barry, brow furrowed. 

"Are you kidding me? You know Iris isn't here. They don't talk, Barry, you know that," said Wally angrily. He set his glass on the table and passed by him. "Mel's passed out in your room. Goodnight."

Barry's breath caught in his throat. "What?"