Chapter 9

Original Stats:
1.9K Views. 84 Votes. 60 Comments.

━━━━━━━━━

Chapter 9

━━━━━━━━━

I drove by myself back to the apartment building to see Chase's car parked. I got out and left my backpack in the passengers side, only bringing my phone with me. I locked the car and walked upstairs before stopping just outside of Chase's door. Should I do this? I closed my eyes and knocked before I could give it a second thought. I opened them just as Chase opened the door. He smiled and stepped aside for me to come in. He shut the door behind me as I walked over and took a seat on the couch.

"What's up?" I asked as he sat down next to me. I backed up a bit and turned my body to face him.

"I wanted to explain everything." Chase started. I frowned.

"What do you mean?" I asked warily. He sighed.

"Last night. The past couple of days... And, I'm going to tell you who the girl is." Chase said. My heart began to beat faster at the mention of his mystery girl. I knew deep down that Owen still wasn't the guy for me. He did save me last night. But there was only one guy that made me feel like this, and I've hated him since middle school.

"Okay." I replied, my voice cracking as I contemplated on whether or not I ever wanted to know who this girl was.

"Okay?" Chase asked. I nodded.

"Yeah. I'll listen." I stated simply, trying not to show how worried and happy I was. He nodded and took a deep breath.

"Last night, nothing happened between Danielle and I. We kissed, but I stopped it before it could get that far. There was only one person I could think of while that was happening, and it wasn't her." Chase left off.

"The girl?" I asked. He nodded.

"Yes, the girl. The girl is also the reason I've been hanging out with you the past couple of days. I didn't mean any harm by wanting to be friends with you." Chase continued and looked to me.

"I know. It just took a bad turn yesterday." I whispered. I didn't even want to think of yesterday.

"The girl is also the reason I didn't answer your call. She got me so upset, I didn't want to talk with you." Chase said as he closed his eyes.

"Did you see her last night? Were you with her when I called?" I asked. He shook his head and turned to face me.

"No. I did kind of see her last night. If you count all of yesterday." Chase said. His eyebrows rose momentarily as he mentioned yesterday.

"But you were with-"

"Bree! I can here you in there." Owen called from the hallway. I sighed and tried to stand before Chase reached for my hand and pulled me back down.

"Don't go." Chase whispered. I shook my head.

"I have to." I whispered back before Owen knocked on Chase's door. I sighed and pulled my hand out of his grasp before walking out into the hall. Chase sighed as I closed the door. Owen stood there with his arms crossed, waiting for an explain took as to why I lied. Why I had told him I wouldn't talk to Chase only for me to end up in his apartment.

"Owen-"

"No, don't. For some reason, you want to be with him. I save you from his cousin of all people last night when he didn't even have the decency to answer the phone when you called. Yet, you still can't stay away from him for more than a minute. I thought you hated him." Owen ranted as he began to pace the hallway. I sighed and leaned against the wall between Chase's apartment and mine.