Chapter 6

1171 words
Joey
"Chandler?" I asked, leaning over the foosball table and pulling at his tie. I raised my eyebrows to let him know what I was thinking.
"Joey, I'm gonna be late for work again. I don't want to get fired."
I pouted, but he just chuckled and pecked my lips.
"I'll try to get home early."
****
We got home from the coffee shop, still reeling from all the "Rachel being the new Kip" drama. I closed the door behind us, wrapping my arms around Chandler's torso.
"So..."
"Yes, Joe?"
That cheeky bastard. I spun him around, kissing him passionately, when Chandler's phone began to ring.
I groaned as he answered it. He sounded very frustrated about something, pinching his forehead in between his eyes and shaking his head. He flipped it closed.
"Sorry, there's a problem at work. Apparently, the system crashed, and nobody knows how to fix it. I have to go."
I scoffed. I'd barely seen him this week; it felt like he was always at work, and any time that we spent together was spent having sex. I mean, yes, that part was good, but I missed my best friend. It felt like he came home, we had sex, slept, and barely had enough time to even say goodbye before going to work.
"Is there a problem, Joe?"
"Oh no, I mean, go to work, it's not like you have something better to do."
"Joe, you know I'd much rather be here with you-"
"You sure have a funny way of showing it."
"Look, Joey, I have to go to work so we can still live here. If it weren't for me, you'd be living in a cardboard box."
I didn't expect that to hurt me as much as it did. I saw that he instantly regretted it and was going to apologise, but it was too late. I turned away from him.
"Alright, if that's how you feel, then just go."
"Joe, I didn't mean-"
"But you said it, and it's done. I just, I think you should go."
There were a few seconds of silence before I heard the door close.
****
Chandler
I stood outside the door, twiddling my thumbs. I'd been gone for 2 hours, trying to fix the problem at work as quickly as possible so that I could get home to Joey. Being in the hallway now actually made me realise how unprepared I was.
He probably wants to end this, whatever this is. I don't blame him, honestly. I said something that I didn't mean just because I was annoyed. I need to learn to keep my mouth shut.
I'd been sitting on the step outside the apartment for a couple of minutes when Joey walked out of the apartment. I stood up.
"Chandler."
"Hey."
"I was just goin' over to Monica's to get some food, but it can wait. Were you gonna come in?"
His voice showed that he was clearly hurt, so I just nodded and walked in. He closed the door. I took a deep breath.
"So... I guess this is over." I said.
"If that's what you want."
I looked at him.
"No, of course not, Joey, I just figured that's what you would want."
"Why would you think that?"
"Because... I messed up."
"Chandler, you've messed up so many times before, if I was gonna leave you I would've done it already. In fact, I tried, and it was the worst time of my life."
I sat down at the breakfast bar and looked up at him; he was now leaning on the counter.
"I don't know, I just- you could have anyone you wanted, and you picked me, and I don't know where this relationship-"
Oh, fuck.
I didn't mean to say relationship. It just slipped out. I held my breath and looked down as I waited for Joey to respond.
"Relationship, huh? That's new. I like it, though."
He put his hand under my chin and kissed me gently.
"I like it, too."
****
It was finally the weekend, which meant no work and all play.
I decided to make pancakes, especially since I still felt guilty about last night. Joey came out of his room, yawning and rubbing his eyes. He went to the bathroom and then came back out, still looking mostly asleep.
"Morning." I said, and he grunted in response. It was before noon, so I figured he'd gotten up because he smelled food. He was looking much more lively after he'd had 2 pancakes and a cup of coffee.
"Wow, Chandler, these pancakes are great."
I'd just finished flipping the last one, so I grabbed a plate and sat next to Joey as he reached for a fourth.
"You know, it's an old family recipe. It's been passed down to me from my Grandpa Bisquik."
He laughed and shoved my shoulder. We talked about everything and nothing until all of the pancakes were gone. We went and sat in our barka loungers and turned on Diehard, both feeling content and full. We held hands across the glass table between the chairs. It was the happiest I'd felt in a really long time.
****
Joey
We were just about to head over to the coffeehouse to meet up with everybody. Chandler was wearing a sweater vest with a checked shirt and a tie underneath. He was looking for his wallet when he noticed me admiring him.
"Whatcha lookin at, Joe?"
"Oh, y'know, my boyfriend."
I smiled and went over to kiss him. Our noses were just touching, when suddenly-
"Hey guys are you ready to-"
There, stood in our doorway, was Monica.
"What the hell is going on?!?!"
"Shhh, Monica! Stop screaming!" Chandler exclaimed.
Monica closed the door and walked up to us.
"How? When? What the hell? Why didn't you tell me?"
"It happened in London."
"IN LONDON?!??"
"C'mon, it's not a big deal."
"Not a big deal? No wonder everyone thinks you haven't been having sex." She gestured to me.
"Nobody was suspicious of me?" Chandler asked.
I patted his shoulder. He smiled at me, and then looked back at Monica.
"We haven't told anyone because I'm not ready."
"Chandler, nobody would be unsupportive-"
"I know. I just spent so much time trying to not become my dad, and then, I just- well, you know."
Monica still looked confused.
"Joey, you hate keeping secrets. How have you done this for so long?"
I looked at Chandler, his face riddled with guilt. I took his hand, and didn't take my eyes off of him as I replied.
"I've never had a secret worth keeping. I mean, yes, it's been tough, but it's worth it."
He smiled at me, and we kissed. It felt like it was just us, until Monica cleared her throat.
"I'll meet you guys at the coffee shop?"
We both nodded as we watched her leave.
"Thanks for saying that, Joe."
"Hey, I'm an actor," I joked, "it's what I do."
I squeezed his hand before pulling him towards the door.

A/N Bisquik is a brand of pancake mix in case you were confused