Wallets and a Bathtub

NOTE: Not sure if this one makes sense, but thought of 'flustered' Jim, as much as he hates that word, makes me laugh.

...

"Pam?" Jim stood outside Pam's front door, tapping his foot impatiently. She had forgotten her wallet in his car after he had driven her home from work yesterday, and now, he decided, would be a good time to stop by and drop it off

They had only been dating two weeks, so this was the first time he had been to her apartment as 'boyfriend Jim.' Pam had given him a key before they started dating just in case something happened, and though today wasn't the first time he had THOUGHT of using it, it was the first time he might actually end up using it.

"Beesly?" Jim waited. Still no answer. 

She must be out, he thought. She did mention going out to brunch today with her mom. It's only 9:30, but maybe that's just when brunches happen? He waited for another couple of minutes. You know what, maybe I can just walk in and leave it on the table, maybe with a little note or something. 

Jim looked around nervously while fishing the key out of his pocket, then reminded himself that he wasn't breaking in- he was just being a helpful boyfriend. As he found the key and pulled it out, he smiled at himself. "Boyfriend" sounded nice.

He let himself in and quietly closed the door. He laid the wallet on her kitchen table, then looked around searching for a notepad of some kind. There was one stuck to her fridge with little cats on the borders every page, so he grabbed that and fished a pen out of his bag to start writing.

"Hey Beesly! You left your wallet in my car last night, so I figured I'd stop by and bring it back. I probably could've called-" Jim stopped and frowned. That would've definitely been a lot smoother- why had he come all the way here? It was a little creepy now that he thought about it. "-but oh well. I guess I just can't stay away." He added a little winking face, for comedic effect. "Sorry I missed you. Call me! -Jim."

He nodded and smiled at his little note, then tore it off and slipped it under the corner of her wallet. Having second thoughts, he took it out and began to fold the corners. He had been learning some origami because he wanted to surprise Pam with more impressive notes to pass to her at the office, and frankly could not draw anything cute to save his life. Origami seemed like a good alternative.

Just as he finished the last fold of the little paper heart, Jim heard a noise from down the hallway. If Pam wasn't here, then what was it? Suddenly glad that he hadn't made lots of noise coming in, Jim put his bag and the pen down as quietly as possible and crept around the corner. At the end of the hall on the left was her bedroom, and as much as he wanted to peek inside it he instead turned to the right- the room where the noise was coming from. The door was closed and he could see that the lights were on from under the crack. Jim took a shallow, shaky breath as he opened it.

The door swung open much faster than he intended. In front of him was Pam's bathroom, and in the bathtub straight ahead was Pam herself. She was naked, of course, peacefully laying in the tub. Her eyes were closed and her head half-submerged, her ears underwater and her hair swishing and swirling around. 

Pam slowly opened her eyes. She hadn't realized anyone was in the room, but she HAD opened her eyes just in time to see Jim's face. When he saw her sit up, he quickly shut the door.

"Jim?" Pam said, confused.

He ran back down the hall, quickly grabbing his bag from the floor. "Shit, shit, shit." He could hear water sloshing in the bathroom, then Pam's voice shouting "Jim, wait!" He tried to leave, then ironically realized that he didn't have his own wallet. He heard a door open and spun around anxiously to see Pam, dripping wet and with a towel around her, at the end of the hall.

Jim looked down and started talking quickly. "Oh my god Pam, I'm so sorry. I- I shouldn't have been here. I was just-" he looked at the table," I was just going to return your wallet and I should've just called you. I mean I'm so STUPID like why would I think it was a good idea to break into your house and-"

"Hey-"

"-even then I should've just left. Pam, I'm so so sorry. Oh God, I-"

"Hey!"

He stopped.

"Jim it's okay."

"No it's not."

"Yes it is. You weren't breaking in, I gave you my key."

"Yeah, but-"

"and you were here to give me my wallet. I don't think criminals go around doing that, do they?"

"But I shouldn't have-"

"Jim, come on."

He stopped again but still couldn't bring himself to look at her. Their relationship had been going so well, and now he had broken into her house and walked in on her taking a bath. REAL gentlemanly, Halpert, he thought sadly.

"Pam, I'm so sorry," he whispered. 

"Don't be." 

He was quiet.

"Look," Pam said, taking a deep breath. "We both knew it was going to happen eventually."

"What?" Jim looked up, suddenly worried. What was going to happen eventually? Him ruining his chance? Them breaking up? Is that what she was about to say?

Pam was the one looking down now. "You... seeing me." 

She was very obviously blushing, and now Jim joined her. "Really? That was going to happen?"

Pam giggled quietly. "Yes, you dork."

Jim blushed even harder, trying to contain a smile.

"Listen, though." She smiled up at him. "As much as I might want to right now," she looked at his chest then slightly lower, "I can't."

Jim's face went serious and he shook his head. "I totally understand. It's probably weird and whatever and if you want to wait because you're not comfortable or something that's completely fine with me-"

Pam rolled her eyes. "Let me finish! I can't because I'm going out to brunch in an hour."

Jim nodded, feeling a little bit stupid. "Oh."

"But..." she smirked and looked into his eyes. "We are going to the beet farm tonight, remember?"

"How could I forget?" He smiled back at her.

Pam, not great at the seductive look, broke into a giggle and turned around. "Okay, then Halpert." She started walking back down the hall to her bedroom.

"I should probably go, huh?"

"See you this afternoon, though?" She smiled.

"3 pm sharp."

Pam smiled one last time and ducked into her bedroom, the sound of her towel hitting the floor coming out right before she shut the door.

Jim sighed. He bent over and picked up his wallet, which had fallen out of his bag when he dropped it on the floor. He was excited enough already for their first night out together, but after what Pam had just said he literally couldn't wait. "See you later, Beesly." He smirked and got into his car, already counting down the minutes until he'd see her again.