Sick Day

NOTE: this is before they started dating

"Where are you?"

"Sick." Pam coughed to add another element. She WAS feeling crappy, just not the kind of crappy that was audible over the phone.

Jim frowned on the other end.

"So you're not coming in to work today?"

"No, stupid." She laughed, then added, "why?"

Jim looked around and leaned back in his chair. "Well, a whole lot's going on."

"Mhmm"

"Yeah, I've been making calls all morning and- hold on. I- something's happening. I-"

"Jim?" She said with a bit of worry. "What's wrong"

"Oh, no. "

"Jim?"

"Dwight's- he's- Dwight just stripped naked! Oh, his tie is on the floor! Oh and now Angela- Angela's joining him. And- oh now Kevin!? Kevin's shouting some stuff in Chinese and running around toppling over shelves! Meredith-"

"Stop!" By now all of Pam's worry was completely gone, and she was instead curled up laughing. She caught her breath just to start giggling again at the thought of Dwight and Angela actually going public like that. If only that would happen!

On the other side, Jim smiled at the sound of Pam's laughter. He giggled as she stopped laughing only to start again. Eventually it died down though and they both sighed.

"So, is Roy staying there at home with you?"

Pam was caught off guard. Of course he wasn't, he had barely said goodbye when he left that morning. But why did Jim care?

"Oh, um, no."

"Huh."

"Yeah..."

After a bit of silence, and just after Pam was about to hang up to avoid embarrassment, Jim spoke up again.

"Well, Beesly, I've got something for you."

"Oh yeah? And what's that?" Pam's smirk was back- he could hear it.

"Well, let's just say that your current impression of chicken noodle soup is grossly underestimating the power of the chicken noodle." He swivelled around in his chair smiling.

Pam was giggling, so he decided to keep it up, pleased with himself.

"Yeah, it's state-of-the-art. Takes hours to make and the chicken is imported."

Pam was laughing hard now.

"Imported, huh?"

"Yeah."

"Where from?"

"Ummm..."

Pam laughed at him again.

"I," he paused. "Okay. You got me Beesly. I only know how to make chicken noodle soup from a can."

They laughed together, both savouring the moment on the phone. It got quiet.

"Jim?"

"Yeah Pam?" He answered a little too quickly.

"I um, I need to go-"

"No, yeah, that's totally fine I-"

"You sure?"

"Yeah. Definitely."

"Okay."

It was quiet.