Chapter Thirty One.

Start from the beginning

"A week or so." Octavia told him from where she was still sitting on the floor beside Logan and Prince. "He's on the edge of coma...He can't be any help like this."

The man I didn't recognize who was still lingering in the doorway looked around at us, then landed on me. "Why hasn't he fed?" He asked me and I could hear the confusion in his voice. Of course he wondered why the king's human wife wasn't keeping the king fed and strong.

"He won't." I told him, still wondering who the heck this person was and whether or not he was a threat. I was about to ask, when Calvin snapped his eyes open and narrowed in on me.

"Ok." He said suddenly.

I shook my head, trying to read his pained expression and to fight back the urge to wipe the tears away from his face. "What, baby?" I whispered, getting closer as he closed his eyes back.

"I need...." He gasped. "Help you..." He coughed. "Blood." He said suddenly and his eyes were open but they were the blackest of black.

Cromley jumped between us and looked down at Calvin, making sure he wasn't about to try to get up.

"You want my blood?" I asked him.

"Blood!" He yelled again. "I...help you." He got out before he began to convulse in pain again.

"Ok." I said, pushing by Cromley, but Logan yanked my arm to the side.

"No, Rachel." He said seriously. "Calvin didn't want this, and neither did you." He reminded me.

"He needs his strength if there is any hope that Rose isn't already..." I dropped my eyes and wrapped my arms back around myself, keeping myself together.

"They won't hurt her." Pedro said, coming towards me. "They won't."

"Blood!" Calvin screamed again, jolting up on the bed before Cromley shoved him back down and held him in place.

I tried again to push over to Calvin, but I was stopped again. "Rach, let me." Logan said as soon as I looked him in the eye.

"Do what?" I asked, confused.

Logan rubbed his bloodshot eyes and looked down at me. "I'll give him my blood." He told me. "That way he has his strength and can help us, and you stay true to what he wanted."

I looked at Logan and waited for him to say he was just kidding, or anything that made more sense than him trying to give his blood to my husband, but then I realized it actually did make sense. Logan loves Rose, and he knows to get her, we need Calvin, and Calvin needs blood.

"I can't let you do that." I said in a daze.

Logan shook his head. "I'm not asking." He said firmly. "Plus, you've been drinking those drinks from the fridge." He pointed out. "Who is to say that you aren't infected and you don't even know it."

"Those are really old." I fired back.

"You feel safe enough on that to risk his life?" Logan countered. "I've hardly eaten anything, and the things I have, I've made for myself entirely. I know my blood is clean."

"You can't be sure." I shook my head, but then I saw something in his eyes. "You've already...?" I asked, then looked over at Octavia who was avoiding my gaze.

"It's clean." Logan reiterated. "And he needs it."

I looked into Logan's eyes, and then back to the bed at Calvin. "Calvin, are you o-."