Promises, Promises

Start from the beginning

Now, all I had to do was grab Miracle and our stuff and get the hell out of there before anyone else got hurt.

I took the hallway to the left which directed me towards the kitchen and almost made it back to the grand staircase that would lead me to my temporary room before I ran into a chest.

I completely froze against the warmth and shivers that ran along my body and shut my eyes tightly.

Liam gripped my upper arms and leaned forward to kiss me on the forehead, knowing that I was in distress from our bond.

"Hey," he whispered gently and pulled me flush against his chest. "Everything's going to be ok, alright? What's wrong? Tell me what's wrong and we'll figure it out."

Why the hell did I have to find this guy now? Why not when the war is over with and I can raise my child in peace?

"Celeste?" I took a deep breath and managed to relax in his arms.

Let me help-

No. I can do this.

You suck at lying, Heaven reminded me dryly.

I never said I was going to lie. I can do this. For them, for him.

So I'll tell him most of the truth.

"Someone died because we're here," I told him and watched as his eyes flicked painfully.

"He died a peaceful death-"

"Don't lie to me," Even though I'm lying to you. I am such a hypocrite.

"What?" His eyes narrowed on my face, finding nothing but the mask, I slipped on.

Don't look directly into his eyes. Look at that, he has a freckle right under his left eye right there.

"People talk. I'm not deaf, I heard what happened. We have to leave," I slipped out of his hold and started up the stairs to get Miracle.

You're making a scene.

That's what I'm intending. If he makes a scene, Zachary will know we're leaving. He'll follow us himself, you know it. We just need to be convincing enough to get Liam to get angry at us. I hesitated to tell her the next part. It hurt to think about. Rejection may be in our future, Heaven.

It's against our very souls to reject the one the Moon Goddess deems worthy for us, but sometimes that how it's supposed to play out. If Liam rejects us, we can get away faster and easier. If I do, I'm pretty sure it would kill me to try.

He won't reject us. You're not either. But we still need to leave.

Right as I was about to open Miracle's and my room, Liam had caught up to me and pulled me back to him.

He looked murderous.

"I just found you. You can't leave, not now." Straight face, no emotion, don't look into his eyes.

"I can and I am, Liam," Damn it, my voice broke on his name. His face softened and my mask broke just a little bit more.

"Please, Liam. You have to let us go for now. Too many people are and will continue getting hurt if we don't. I know of a place I can keep Miracle safe from Zachary," Liam flinched at Zach's name and he tightened his jaw in suppressed emotions. "Please don't make this any harder than it already is. Please, Liam." I finally allowed myself to catch his gaze and he was fucking tearing up. I felt what was left of my heart break and leaned against his chest for momentary support.

Do not cry, do not cry, do not fucking cry.

I let out a sob and that broke it all.

Heaven took over and guided my body to hold on tightly to Liam. He crushed me and I felt him shaking slightly. The tears wouldn't stop on either of our faces.