Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

"I think that Tanya is trying to see the kids because I'm dating your daughter," Edward muttered. "It hit me last night. I got up to have a snack and it seemed completely out of the blue, but then I remembered the reunion. Lauren was there and she must have dished to Tanya about all of the details what happened, including Bella and I becoming a couple."

Charlie's lips twitched and he arched a brow. "I wouldn't put it past her. Tanya is a vindictive, back-stabbing bitch who made my daughter cry more often than not. Why the fuck were you with her?"

"Stupidity," Edward said, scrubbing his hands in his hair. "She said she was pregnant, which blew my mind because we always used condoms."

"Have you had a paternity test?" Charlie asked.

"Yes, Charlie. They are mine," Edward replied. "I ran the test after she gave birth because she alluded to the fact that she was fucking around on me. I think she poked holes in the condoms." Charlie growled. "Tell me about it. While the timing of her pregnancy wasn't ideal, it was the one thing that I loved about us. I adore my children. Regardless of how they were conceived, they are and always will be my babies. I would die for them. Surely, you understand that."

"I do," Charlie sighed. "You may want to call Bella and give her the heads up about the she-beast. Bella hated and feared her. Tanya made my little girl's life hell. You were one of the few people who stood up for her. I think that's why she's with you."

"No, she's with me because we love each other," Edward pointed out.

"Well, that and you were kind to her, Edward," Charlie said. "Bella never really fit in because of her mother disappearing, my job and money issues. It made her a target for those popular girls, forcing her to leave Tampa when she graduated." He looked up at Edward, his eyes narrowing. "But, if you hurt my daughter, I'll hunt you down and make it look like an alligator attacked, Cullen."

"I promise to never hurt her, Chief," Edward squeaked. "I love her. She's everything I've ever wanted and I am such a fool for not following my heart in high school."

"You were young and stupid," Charlie said, finishing his coffee. "I can't fault you for being young and stupid. But, your stupidity decides to make a reappearance, you know what I'm going to do." He got up and put his pad of paper back into his shirt pocket. "I'll print up another copy of your restraining order to include the hospital, but tell the school about Tanya's bullshit."

"Thanks, Charlie," Edward said. "And I'll do everything in my power to not let my youth or stupidity rule my brain. I would like to see my kids grow up."

Charlie grunted, letting himself out of the house. Edward collapsed onto the kitchen floor, his heart stammering against his chest. Pulling out his phone, he sent a text to Bella.

Your dad is freaking scary. Did you know that? – Edward

xx TOTGA xx

Across the country, Bella was getting settled in for a long day at the library. She set up her laptop and placed her coffee on the squishy book-shaped cup holder. Her phone lit up with a message from Edward. Your dad is freaking scary. Did you know that? – Edward

Not wanting to text him, she picked up her phone and called him. "And you're just figuring this out now?" Bella asked teasingly after Edward picked up.

"I had a conversation with him regarding Tanya and her need to see the kids. He was great about that, but he essentially threatened my life if I hurt you in any way," Edward squeaked. "He'd make me alligator bait."

"Don't doubt him, Edward. He'll do it," Bella giggled. "Are you off today, too?"

"I am and after I pick up the kids from school, we're having a daddy/kid date," Edward said proudly. "I've missed them so much."