Chapter Seven

For those of you who read the Get Your Southern On contest entries, this is my contribution. I am tickled at the results ... first place in public vote and third place for the judge's choice. I've decided to break this up into smaller, drabblish chapters and it will be continued. The contest contribution is the first six or so chapters, roughly. I don't know how long it will be, but I do have it planned. Thank you to Bridget for betaing this for me and for Clo, who created the banner.

Thank you for those of you who have read this! I hope you continue to do so! Without further ado ...

"I promise I'll take care of her, Chief. Don't wait up," Edward said, taking Bella's hand and threading their fingers together. He guided her out the door, kissing her knuckles, ignoring the grumbling police chief in the foyer.

"You are bad," Bella giggled. "Don't wait up?"

"Well, the reunion is going until midnight and there are numerous after parties. Not to mention I got a room," he said as they walked to his sleek black BMW, his cheeks flushed as he pulled out a small card.

"What?" Bella squeaked. She shook her head, her eyes trained on the card.

"I'm sorry, Bella. I don't mean to ..." he sputtered. "I had hoped that we could ..."

She stopped him, standing in front of him. "I'm sorry, Edward. Why don't we get in the car and head to the hotel? I can explain my reaction. Please?"

"I just want to know that I didn't mess up. That I didn't mess up what could be something absolutely beautiful," he whispered, taking her face in his hands.

"You didn't, but I'd rather have this conversation other than in my front yard," she quipped, kissing his nose. He wrinkled it, tugging her into his arms and hugging her briefly. He helped Bella into the smaller car that was sitting on the driveway. Jogging around the car, he slid into the driver's seat and drove out of Bella's neighborhood. He gripped the steering wheel, his knuckles white, until Bella's hand gently pulled it away and weaved her fingers into his. "Edward, I'm sorry I clammed up out there over the room. To be honest, my sexual history has been nonexistent."

"You're a virgin?" Edward asked, his brow arched.

"No, I'm not a virgin, but the one man I was with was ... he left me unsatisfied," Bella said, blushed. "I've never been with anyone since and honestly, no one held my attention. I was single. Lonely, really. I had a few close friends, but because of what happened in high school, I didn't trust easily. I still don't."

"And you're waiting for the other shoe to drop," Edward said.

"Kind of," she replied. "I never went to prom or homecoming. This is all new to me." She squeezed his hand. "Now, will we use that room? That remains to be seen, but I'd rather reserve the right to make that decision at the end of the night."

"Bella, we can use the room, even just to talk," Edward whispered, navigating his tiny car to the hotel.

Using the valet, he helped Bella out of the car and looped her arm through his. They walked through the lobby and to the restaurant and outdoor bar where the reunion was taking place. Edward and Bella registered at the desk, greeted by one of Edward's former friends. Lauren Mallory wrinkled her nose when she saw the handsome and single Edward holding hands with Smella Swan. Granted, Smella was better looking, more pulled together than high school, but she was still that quiet, nerdy, bookish girl who would always smelled like smoke since her dad was the human incarnation of a chimney.

Or at least in high school.

"Lauren, didn't your mother ever tell you that if you make a funny face, it may be frozen that way," Edward admonished. He had used the same argument with his twins almost daily.

"Sorry," she said, handing them their name badges. "Have a good night and Edward, if you're available later, I have a room in the hotel. We could ..."

"Not a chance, Lauren," Edward said icily. "I'm here with Bella and spending time with the person I should have been with since the beginning." He cupped Bella's cheek, looking at her tenderly. She leaned against his hand. He kissed her sweetly, guiding her away from the table and the hateful Lauren. Edward guided Bella to the bar and ordered a glass wine for each of them. "I'm sorry about Lauren. She was a Tanya clone."

"I know," Bella said quietly, sipping her wine. "Lauren went to my elementary school. It's where she came up with the nickname 'Smella.' My dad used to smoke a lot. The smell of smoke was embedded in my clothes, hair and everything in the house. It wasn't until he had a cancer scare when I was in sixth grade that he stopped smoking and completely renovated the house, removing the stench of smoke from inside. However, the name stuck."

Edward wrapped his arm around her slender waist, inhaling her sweet, fresh scent. She did not smell like smoke. In fact, she smelled like vanilla, cinnamon and sugar. "Your scent is enticing, Bella," he murmured against her temple. "You smell sweet and so tempting. My sweetness."

Bella blushed, snuggling in Edward's arms, relishing in his tender, gentle words and husky tone. Her panties were flooded with her desire for him, but her conscious was being a snarky bitch. Was it too good to be true?

Too good to be true or not, Bella decided to go with it. If this weekend was all they'd have, she was going to make the most out of it. She turned to him, her fingers sliding into his silken hair, massaging his scalp. She kissed him, her tongue sliding between his lips and moaning quietly. Calling on her inner sex goddess, she nipped at his lips. "Maybe that's not all that's sweet," she purred.

"Fuck. Me," Edward groaned, his pants growing tight. His hand moved from her waist, stopping just above her ass. "You are ..."

"I'm what?" she asked, nuzzling his cheek.

"Going to be the death of me, Miss Swan," he chuckled, his voice strained, pressing his forehead to hers. "Shall we sit? I see Angela and Ben." Bella nodded, following Edward to a table. They ordered food and talked, laughing about more pleasant high school memories. Edward could see how much Bella missed Angela and Ben, but the torture she endured by Tanya and by extension, him and his group of friends had forced her away. Edward felt guilty for not doing more when they were in high school. Edward remembered how shattered she looked when she was teased, but she never cried, never said anything. She'd just walk away and hide in the library.

"Don't frown, Edward," Bella said, smoothing the wrinkle between his brows. "Hopefully, this is the beginning of something magical. We weren't ready then. Now? I think we are."

"I don't think, I know," Edward smiled, kissing her lovingly.

However, their little bubble was burst when Lauren announced that there was a memory video. On a screen in the restaurant, there was a twenty minute video from their years in high school. As Bella predicted, it was mostly of the popular group. Tanya and Edward were the stars of the video. He was very uncomfortable watching it, seeing his ex-wife and his younger self that was cocky and mean. Bella threaded her fingers with his, pressing a soft kiss to his cheek. "You're not him anymore," she whispered.

"I hope not," Edward replied.

Bella ran her fingers down his slightly stubbled cheek, staring him and giving him a seductive, sexy smile. "Show me," she said. She reached into his pocket and took out the hotel key. "Show me, Edward."

A/N: Well, that answers that question. You know what happens next. ;-)