Chapter Fifteen

For those of you who read the Get Your Southern On contest entries, this is my contribution. I am tickled at the results ... first place in public vote and third place for the judge's choice. I've decided to break this up into smaller, drabblish chapters and it will be continued. The contest contribution is the first six or so chapters, roughly. I don't know how long it will be, but I do have it planned. Thank you to Bridget for betaing this for me and for Clo, who created the banner.

Thank you for those of you who have read this! I hope you continue to do so! Without further ado ...

This is the beginning of the extension of the original contest entry. ALL NEW! Thank you for sticking with me and I hope you enjoy this!

Edward spent most of the night taking care of his two sick twins. Around six, both of them finally settled down and crashed from being so sick. Edward sucked down coffee, exhausted from cleaning the never-ending stream of vomit. The combination of that scent, plus the burnt chicken piccata made his stomach turn.

Shortly after eight, Esme came over with some plain toast for the twins. She found her son drooling on the kitchen peninsula, holding a coffee cup. Brushing his hair back, she gently roused him. "Ma?" he croaked, sitting up and stretching. Every bone in his spine cracked. "Sorry. I must have drifted off."

"Did you get any sleep?" she asked as she refreshed his coffee.

"No. Liam just loved to projectile vomit," he said, looking down at his scrubs. He gave up on clothes and found some scrubs figuring it would be to change those. "Lucy was a bit more delicate. What did you feed my children?"

"It was just too much," Esme said. "And it's all your father's fault. He was the one shoveling down unhealthy food down their throats."

"Remind me to kick his ass," Edward said, rubbing his eyes.

"I'm sorry about ruining your date with Bella," she muttered. "I know that you've put everyone ahead of your needs and this one weekend, I wanted to give you some freedom ..."

"Ma, it's okay," he replied. "Bella understands. In fact, she might come over if the twins are feeling up to it."

"I don't think that's a wise decision," Carlisle said from the doorway.

"You have no say in this, old man," Edward snapped. "If it weren't for you stuffing junk food down my kid's throats ..."

"Carlisle, it's Edward's decision if he wants to introduce the twins to Bella. I've always liked her. She's sweet and will be a better mother than Tanya," Esme sneered.

"Stop, both of you," Edward hissed, dragging them into the office. "I'm not shopping for a new mother for my children. I love Bella. I always have. I just wanted her to meet them. So, Ma, stop with the better mother comments. Bella and I are trying to get to know each other as adults, not horny teenagers."

"Though, it does smell like sex in your room," Carlisle huffed.

"Grown adult, Carlisle," Edward growled. "And in case you haven't figured it out, I'm not a virgin. I lost that when I was fifteen. I have two kids. You can stop passing judgment."

"Behave, Carlisle. Edward has done nothing but live and breathe for his children," Esme argued. "But has he been happy?"

"Not really. No," Carlisle said, giving his son a sheepish grin. "I'm sorry, Edward. You lost your virginity at fifteen?"

"Ugh, Dad," Edward sighed, stomping to his desk and sitting down heavily. "I'm going on next to no sleep. Can you just skip the lecture and tell me why it's not a good idea for Bella to not meet the twins?"