Chapter 42 - Band Aid

Start from the beginning

"You didn't have to be so rude, Richard."

"Sheila, I'm Project Manager of this site, and answerable for whatever happens here. Can you imagine if it was Alvin who walked into you both? You could have locked the door you know. That way you can prepare to be decent if somebody knocks."

"You know Richard, I really wanted you to see that. Para sayo yung palabas na yun."

"For me? What makes me so special na kailangan may palabas pang ganyan?"

"I just wanted to show you I've moved on. You're not the only guy, damn you. I wanted you to see that I can also be happy without you."

"My God, how old are you Sheila? We're both on the verge of 30, and you resort to childish tactics like this?  Wala ka bang respect sa sarili mo? How could you allow someone to sex you up in your workplace?"

"Di kaya hurt lang ego mo that I will stop running after you?"

"Sheila, I'm a married man with a kid. I can say I've matured enough to know my priorities. Wala na yang ego sakin, wala akong dapat patunayan sa sarili ko. I already have everything I want."

"You're forgetting, Mr. High and Mighty Righteous one that my uncle got this project for you. If I wanted to, kaya kita ipatanggal dito."

"Eh di sige, gawin mo. Sheila, I don't know what's gotten into you. This is a bad idea, us working together. No need to tell your uncle, I'm resigning. Tawagan ko na siya ngayon."

He took out his phone and started calling Mr. Enriquez. She slapped away the finger swiping on his phone.

"Stop."

"You wanted this diba? Look, mas malala pa dito na-experience ko na, nawalan na ko ng trabaho dati, malulusutan ko to. Siraan mo ko if you want, I've just had it with you."

"I'm sorry, I know I'm acting like a brat. Naiinis lang ako kasi judgemental ka."

"Seriously? What would you do if you walked into this office and saw me and Dei making out on that table? You'd get scandalized diba? Kahit asawa ko pa yung kasama ko, hindi pa rin tamang lugar."

"Mali ka. If I saw you and Dei making out here, maiinggit ako."

"Ayan ka na naman eh. What happened to you? Hindi ka naman dating ganyan."

His phone buzzed. He checked the message and eyed her warily.

"Padating na si Alvin and Dei is with them. I strongly suggest you freshen up Sheila, you looked like you've been roughed up." He stepped out and slammed the door behind him.

She did as she was told, hating herself. She could never win against him. She splashed water on her face and gargled some mouthwash. Applying a fresh coat of lipstick, she surveyed herself on the mirror. She looked the same to others, the same delicate and baby-faced beauty that her friends always believed was living a charmed life. She studied abroad, traveled across Europe, owns practically every designer bag a girl would ever want.

But they didn't see her scars. The scars of her parents living separate happy lives with their own families, while she was the odd one out being juggled alternately by the two homes. She who nearly died on the operating table when her body almost rejected the kidney they transplanted on her. And of course, she, the broken-hearted one, whose pieces might never be brought back together by any other man.

She stepped out of the toilet to see the two couples chatting animatedly. Danica had her arm linked through Alvin's while Richard was hugging Dei from behind, just like he used to do to her. They were laughing at Alvin's joke, with Dei looking behind her as Richard stole a kiss on her lips.