Capítulo Seis

Capítulo Seis

“Si una lesión tiene que ser hecha a un hombre debe ser tan severo que su venganza no hay que temer.”

    -If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared.-

                                                                        -- Niccolo Machiavelli

          The sight of Rafael stealing a kiss from Fe shocked me; I almost forgot that she was suffering from a bullet pellet wedged deep in her shoulder. This wasn't the time or place for romance to be blooming while the woman was down for the count. I marched right to them, ripping him away from her, shoving him so his head hit the nearby wall. My cutlass pressed on the crook of his throat. I looked from Rafael to Fe. Her breathing was steady.

          Clearly, she couldn’t explain herself because she was out like a light, the paleness of her skin still evident. I took on the latter.

          “¡Hombre! What do you think you’re doing? Give me one good reason not to tear you to shreds? And, it better be a good one!” I hissed, pressing the blade harder toward his windpipe.

          He held up his hands, a sign of defeat. “Captain, it’s not what it looks like.”

          “Not what it looks like, then? What am I supposed to be looking at, Rafa, because I see a scallywag taking advantage of my first mate who, may I mention, can’t even defend herself. So, tell me, what am I looking at?”

          The sweat beaded on his dark bangs, matting them together. His eyes lingered from me to Fe, he swallowed before opening his mouth, careful not to upset me further. “You need to understand that what I did may have saved her life.” He paused before speaking, as if cautious with what he was about to tell me. “Captain, you have sensed it. You were right to tell me. That bullet wasn't an ordinary one. It was laced. I did what I had to to get her to drink the potion. Before you got here, Fe wasn't herself.”

          I loosened my hold, eventually freeing him. His hand came up to massage the side of his neck where my blade was previously.

          “Muy bien. If that was it, then I’ll let it go, but don’t think this lets you off the hook. Fe will know and she’ll be the one in charge for the proper form of punishment. You know my rules. No man forces himself on a woman or else his cajones be ripped from him and fed to the sharks. Now go back to the festivities. Watch our guest tonight. He could be one of them.”

          His eyes darkened, but he nodded, not missing the way I ignored the last bit of what he said. “Aye.” His back turned towards the door. Before taking another step he added, “I know what I saw, Captain. Don’t act like I didn't.”

          I heard the door close. I breathed out. Rafa, the ever so sharp one. He’s the silent type, but that doesn't mean he can’t speak out when he was on to something -- or someone. One of the reasons why I recruited him onto my ship.  

          Speaking of someone, where did Surgeon and Paolo run off too?

          "Aqui estoy,” spoke up a voice from under Fe’s bed.

          I squatted  into a crouch, turning my head to face the gap between the bed railing and the floor. I gazed into blue eyes. “Found you. What are you doing under there, mate?” I backed away from there, allowing Paolo some space to get out from under there.