Chapter 3 - I will get you

Start from the beginning

“C’mon Gino, up.” She patted his head.

But the dog refused to move and lazily looked back at her. She faked a frown at him.

“You be a obedient boy and let me get up. And I will…”

Nadia’s words were interrupted by her mobile phone ringing. With Gino still lying on her stomach, she strained to reach for the phone by her bedside table, her fingers feeling for the phone. “Oh Gino,” she said, stretching her arm as far as she could. Finally, she felt the cold metal edges and her fingers pushed the phone towards her palm. The screen informed her it was an unknown number.

“H…hello?” She answered.

“Nadia, good morning.” A pleasant male voice greeted her.

Cupping the phone with her palm, she looked at Gino. “Raul! How did he get my number?” She whispered to him.

The dog looked back at her dreamily, without making a sound.

“G..Good morning. How did you get my number?”

“Oh, Serafina gave it to me.”

Zia? How did Zia know Raul? Till yesterday, it had appeared to be that Raul Corpillo was a complete stranger to the Angelus family. Suddenly, it dawned on her. She jolted to a sitting position, shocking Gino into jumping down from the bed. Have Zio and Zia found out the truth?

“Err… Nadia?”

“Y…yes I am here.” Nadia could feel her cheeks growing hot. “R…Raul, please listen. It was all a misunderstanding.”

There was silence on the other line and Nadia’s fingers ran through her hair, not knowing what to do next. She didn’t want Raul to be mad at her or to stop talking to her. This was a pleasant shock, to hear his voice so early in the morning. Yet, she knew he was trouble but still wanted to talk to him.

Oh, diu! I don’t know what I should do anymore. Her fingers ruffled through her hair even more.

“I am Nunzio.” Came a slightly disappointed sounding voice.

“What?”

“I am Nunzio. Your Zia gave me your number and told me to ask you for dinner. I was thinking would it be alright if I visited you.”

“What?”

“I would like to meet you, Nadia.”

“Why? I am not selling the winery.”

“No, its not about the winery. Its about our mar…”

“Nunzio, I have to go. I have a business meeting, and I am terribly late. Thank you for calling. Bye.”

She pressed the button for disconnect and then threw the phone on the bed as though it contained some infectious disease, glaring at it. So, after taking all that trouble, Zia doesn’t believe me that I am dating Raul Corpillo. Her eyes shifted to Gino. “Am I really that undesirable?” She asked her friend.

Gino barked, wagging his tail and barked again.

“Yes or no.” She pointed a finger at him, upset that her Zio and Zia had thought of her that way.

Gino continued to wag his tail at her.

“Alright.” She knelt on the floor and took his face between her hands. “Tell me honestly, Gino. Am I actually that undesirable that Zia and Zio simply refuse to believe me that Raul is after me or that I might date him or maybe I am dating him. Tell me, boy. One bark for a yes and two barks for a no. Got that?” She waited eagerly for his bark or barks.