"But-"

"Are you done nah? The teacher is talkin'" I interrupt, done with this conversation.

"Can you just tell me what your name is, girl next door?"

I sigh deeply," Robyn. Now turn around, gal. I'm trying ta work."

~ Present ~

The bell rings, startling me. I look at the time on my phone and see that it's 3:45.

Class is over?

"You daydreamed through the whole class..." Zen says, as if reading my thoughts.

I shake my head and gather all my things. As I sling my duffle bag unto my shoulder, Zen asks,"you going straight to tryouts?"

I shrug,"we have 'bout 15 minutes though..."

"I guess I'll go with you, then," Zen says, following me as I walk out of the classroom.

A few minutes later, we approach the gym. Already, I can hear the squeaks of basketball shoes against the wooden floor and the shouts of girls.

I glance at Zen and she smiles,"we finna fuck shit up?"

I shake my head,"le's jus' tryout."

§§

"Fenty! Shoot the damn ball!" The coach yells at me as I try to move around the person guarding me.

Sweat is pouring down my face and my legs are burning from all the work I'm putting in.

"Fenty!" The coach yells again.

The fuck's she yelling at me for? We're trying out and plus this girl is 6'5"...

I finally get a shot off and it goes in for two points.

The whistle blows signaling the end of tryouts.

"Alright! On the line!" The coach yells.

There's a wave of scoffs and groans.

The tall girl that was guarding me pushes past me on our way to the baseline.

I shake my head, ignoring her and assume the position on the line.

"Lines, go!" The coach says.

§§

After we do our line drills, the coach says,"showers ladies. Results will be placed on the bulletin by the front office."

As we all make our way to the locker room, Zen takes her place by my side.

"You did good," she pants out.

I nod,"you too. But not better than me."

Zen lets out a weak laugh,"right..."

We walk into the locker room and as soon as we turn the corner, I'm greeted by pure nakedness. I take a step back, startled.

Zen laughs beside me,"don't act so surprised. You'll get used to it. Keep your head down or some of these girlies will think you like them."

I nod and walk into the locker room, my head down. Steam is everywhere, making the floor slippery, but I walk steadily to my locker.

My locker is smack in the middle of the locker room, so I was in the middle of all that's going on.

I open my locker and sit down on bench, starting to take my shoes off.

"Good job, Fenty." A random person says, tapping my shoulder as she walks by.