Chapter 5

I held my sweaty hands underneath my legs as I looked at the beautiful girl I had been dying to ask a specific question. "Hey, uh, Hannah?" She looked over to me and gave a tiny smile as her eyes met mine. "Yes?" She asked, her voice soft and comforting to my ears. "Will you... um.. be my... oh my god, how do I ask this?" She giggled at my struggle. "I'll go to the dance with you. I was really hoping you were gonna ask me." My mouth formed a smile as I looked to the ground. I looked back up at her. "I'm so relieved. I was absolutely terrified you'd say no." "You're adorable" she mumbled as she looked from my eyes to my lips. "Seal the deal?" She whispered as she stepped closer and closer to where I was sitting. My eyes widened at her blunt offer, and I nodded my head. "Please." She leaned in and kissed me for the first time. That was an experience I'd never forget.

6 months after the dance.

I sat at my bedroom desk, staring at the turned-off laptop screen in front of me. These thoughts were making my head pound. How could she cheat on me? Why wasn't I good enough? Did I mess something up? Why didn't she just talk to me?

I took my phone out of my pocket and anxiously dialed her number. When she picked up I didn't feel a calming presence. There was a tense feeling. She picked it up with a cheery voice. "Hey, baby! What's up?" I sat there silently for a few seconds longer than I intended to. "Did you cheat on me?" Now it was her turn to stay silent. "Of course, I didn't. Why would you even accuse me of that?"  I sighed loudly. "I have multiple sources, Hannah."  "Jesus fucking Christ Brendon. I thought you'd believe your girlfriend over some high school kids."  "You know what? You're right. They're probably just jealous." She agreed and I hung up the call.

This happened for 5 more months before Brendon called it quits. The girl he had adored for what felt like forever was a person he didn't know. Abusive, manipulative, and unfaithful. She blamed several mistakes she made on him or on others, to give herself that standing victim complex. 

Brendon was rightfully afraid to be vulnerable and in love again.