Chapter 2

As soon as the bell rang, I tried to grab my bag and run out of that room as fast as possible while respectfully walking, but I didn't even make it two steps away from the desk.

"Hey, I'm so sorry you had to meet Ryan today. I'm sorry you had to meet him at all."

I turned around to face the lightly freckled boy with deep brown hair and eyes. He was so beautiful that my original train of thought faded momentarily. "No, it's okay," I said back, barely being able to make eye contact with him.

"No, it's not. He may think he has an excuse for being an ass, but his home life does not mean a free pass to make other people's lives awful." I nodded, all while looking puzzled.

"Hey, how do you know about his home life? Does he talk about it much?"

"No, Ryan and I used to be terrific friends. In 8th grade, he started acting like a completely different person, and instead of pressuring him for an answer, I assumed it all became too much for him, and I gave him some space. He hasn't bothered with me since."

I looked to the floor while tucking some hair behind my ear. "That's awful. I can imagine he's pushing away everyone because he's scared of them pushing him away first." Ms. Reiman spoke up behind us. I nodded. That did make enough sense.

"Brendon!" A shrieking girl ran into the room and latched herself to Brendon's arm.

"Hannah. Get off of me. Now." She looked up at him and pouted. "But why? I'm your baby."

My eyes slightly widened as my heart sank. Of course, someone that gorgeous is taken. Who saw that one coming.

"We broke up two months ago; get the hint!" He shook her off of his arm and walked around us, turning back before exiting the room to wave goodbye to me. I waved back and stayed looking towards the door.

"Don't try it. He'll ruin your life." I turned around to the Hannah girl and responded.

"How does he ruin lives?" I asked, once again puzzled.

"He focuses more on his family and music than he does his girlfriend. He constantly had family events and was always with his friends. We were fine and always together in the beginning, and after a month, he started disappearing."

I looked back towards the door before facing her once again. "That's so weird."

Before I could even think of adding more words to my sentence, she interrupted me.

"He wouldn't want you anyway. You seem shy. He likes outgoing party girls, like me. Don't break your heart, babe." She raises her eyebrows a hard way and walks over to where she is supposed to be sitting.

I leave the classroom and go into the girl's room. If I have to change my image again, I will lose sight of who I am, like I have done many times before. I can't let it happen. Sometimes the pressure is too much for me to fight off. Some people refer to me as a doormat. I'm easy to use and manipulate. It's because I'm too trusting of a person. I always assume people's best intentions before knowing their true intentions.

As I was going to leave the girl's room, Hannah walked in with a pass and slammed by me, making sure to put extra strength into her elbow. I try my best to act unbothered and leave the bathroom that the devil is now occupying.