True Mates

“Goodbye, Zachary.” Ben said coldly.

I was in a moment of shock. I couldn’t do anything. It felt as if I didn’t even know how to use my legs anymore. Thousands of memories darted through my head. Everything that went on in my life from when I was a little boy till now, went through my head in just a few seconds. I remembered to when my dad and I would play baseball outside.

How my mom used to dance and hum in the kitchen while cooking, her playful voice when she told us it was time for dinner. I remembered by father’s sudden death, and how I went to his funeral. I cried myself to sleep every night and hadn’t went to school for over 3 months that year.

I remembered when Kaylen met Jason and I had been so overprotective and almost scared him away. Mom’s remarriage to Michael, meeting Jenna, the love of my life…

I shut my eyes tightly, waiting for the shot. Waiting for the bullet to go through my head. Waiting for that darkness to engulf me, waiting for the pain to hit me……..

But it never did.

Instead, the door burst open. Ben’s eyes instantly snapped to it. “You brought company?” he muttered under his breath before chuckling.

Michael stood at the door, a gun in his hand.

Oh yeah, did I forget to mention my stepdad was a retired Swat agent?

“Put the gun down and nobody’ll get hurt.” He said, his eyes steady.

Ben ignored him and attempted to shoot him. Michael swiftly moved to the side, and I was up on my feet.

“I’m going to say it again, put the gun down.”

Ben faked putting the gun down, but instantly shot back up and shot Michael.

It landed on his leg though, and before Ben could get away Michael shot him straight through the head.

Ben was in front of the large window. He fell back stiffly and the glass shattered, falling off the building along with Ben’s dead body.

I stared with horror, relief, a mix of emotions.

I cautiously stepped towards the window, the violent winds hitting the room. I glanced down and saw Ben’s dead body in the snow. Blood leaked out of his mouth and his forehead.

I quickly looked away, and back to Michael. He had the gun lowered now, his face blank of any emotions. His leg bled.

“The other’s picked up Jen’s scent. Let’s go.” He explained with no further word.

"But your leg-" I started.

"I've went through worse, now let's go."

I agreed quickly. It was clear he was just as anxious to find Jen as I was.

We ran quickly through the bitter cold and followed the pack’s voices.

They hadn’t found Jen just yet, but they were following her scent.

I quickly tried using mind-link, hoping Jen would answer. I wanted to hear her voice. My wolf was aching for her voice, her appearance, her touch, her anything.

There was no response.

I walked miles and looked at every place possible. Turning back to where the others were, I spotted a figure beside the tree. I squinted at it.

The figure wasn’t moving. Maybe my mind was playing tricks on me. I don’t know. I started to slowly walk away before I felt that strong pull. I quickly turned and was suddenly running to the figure.

The snow was like a white sheet over my eyes, shielding my eyesight. I fought the strong winds and was suddenly in front of two figures. I felt that familiar strong pull I’d always get when I was near Jen. My heart swelled in my chest in happiness before I saw her eyes weren’t open. She was dressed in a small black full sleeved shirt and dark grey pants.

I quickly slipped out of my jacket and threw it over her, wrapping her around it.

“Jen? Please, please open your eyes.”  I was saying as I shook her, enough to wake her up.

I looked at her pale face pleadingly. After shaking her, her eyes slowly opened.

“Jen, Jen!” I practically yelled.

Her perfect dark brown eyes closed again. I yelled for help and after a few seconds Daniel, and Michael showed up. “I’m taking her to the hospital.” I stated as I slipped an arm under her legs and waist, picking her up bridal style.

Jen was awake and aware now. She was crying hysterically when she saw the figure next to her.

“Please, help her first!” she pleaded, her voice so low. She motioned to the person next to her.

“We need to get you safe first.” I told her desperately.

“Please, that’s my mom.” Her voice was just below a whisper.

~

*Jen is safely home that night, resting up in Zach’s room at his parent’s house.*

It was 4:00Am now, the storm just starting to settle down.

I sat on the couch as Michael towered over me. His leg was covered in a white cast because of the gun shot. It would heal extra fast though, according to the werewolf doctor since we were werewolves and were stronger and healed faster.

“I clearly had told you not to go out on your own. I said that once we all rested we’d go looking again.” Michael yelled at me, angry. My mom stood next to him.

“You could’ve got yourself killed if I hadn’t come right in time! You don’t go doing things like that on your own. You’re clearly not old enough to take care of your own responsibilities.” He lectured.

Rage and anger built up inside me.

“I’m old enough to take care of my responsibilities.” I responded keeping my tone calm.

“Then why did that man have a gun pointed at you?” he challenged.

I stood up. “It got out of hand!” I yelled, throwing my arms up in exasperation.

My mom gasped.

I groaned.

Michael turned to my mom. “He forgot to tell you that part, didn’t he?” he pointed out, shooting me a disapproving look.

“Zach! Why would you get yourself into the position of having a gun pointed at you?” my mom said, both Michael and her turning their angry gazes at me.

“I was finding Jen. What would I do without her!? Go marry someone else like you did, Mom? This-“

I motioned between them both.

“This isn’t even true love! You guys aren’t mates! You both won’t ever go through that same love you had with your mates ever again.”

I turned to just my mom now. “I saw what you went through when we lost Dad. I wasn’t going to go through something like that again.” I growled the whole thing, my fury burning out when I finished.

My mom’s face fell. Michael wouldn’t meet my eyes.

 I stormed out of the room.

____________________________________________________________________

Sorry the chapter was short! Theres 3 or 4 more chapters left till the END of this book! Can you believe it?! Should i do a sequel? & also, the next chapter will have a fraction of it be in Zach's P.O.V a little before it'll go back to Jenna.

Sorry if my Zach P.O.V's suck. I'm not good at doing him and his thoughts..

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the chapter! Keep the votes, fans, and comments coming!! :)

XOXO

-Maysoon