The Dance

I was in my pajamas and a t-shirt. The dance was only two hours away. I had no intention of prettying up just for Ben. Anger flared up inside me. I just wanted to stay home and relax. I hated going to these stupid school dances. Once I got to my room, I collapsed on my bed while rubbing my eyes. After a few minutes, my phone rang and I debated with myself if I should pick it up or not. I ended up ignoring my phone and eventually it stopped, just to start ringing all over again. “Hello!” I yelled into the phone, frustrated with myself.

 “You better be getting ready, Jenna. The dance is in two hours!” Dana stated into the phone.

“Yeah, ok. I’ll get ready soon.” I told her. “Get ready now.” She said firmly into the phone.

I sighed. “Ok, I’ll see you at the dance.” We both hung up and I walked over to my wardrobe, looking for something nice to wear.

After an hour, I finally found a red dress that was buried deep into my closet. It ended just below my knees. The shocking red dress matched with my long coffee colored hair and brang out my chocolate brown eyes. Smiling, I placed the dress onto my bed neatly and took a quick shower. I washed all my tension away and was free of any negative thoughts. After that, I swiftly painted my nails the same red color as my dress. Once I was done, I waited for them to dry as I looked through my shoe closet. I used my foot to look through the shoe closet while I blew on my nails, waiting for them to dry.

Concluding I’d wear plain black heels, I stripped out of my bath robe and threw on the dress.  It hugged my curves at the exact right parts and defined my body shape. I hadn’t worn a dress in a long, long time. Ever since my mom disappeared, I cared less and less about my fashion, ending up with my wardrobe filled with sneakers, flared jeans, sweatpants and t-shirts.

Figuring out where my mind was leading me, I shook my head swiftly. I wasn’t going to be depressed and sad tonight. I was going to have some fun.

As I repeated those lines in my head, over and over, I applied a small amount of makeup. I didn’t really need makeup since my natural beauty was already there.

I had high cheekbones and full, pink lips. My silky smooth brown hair fell down my back loosely. Since I was a werewolf, I had a petite frame and no matter how much I ate, I couldn’t gain extra weight. My height was 5’6, and perfect for my age.

Just as I was grabbing a black wristlet from my counter, I heard a car’s horn from outside. I pulled my curtains open and peeked out to see Ben resting against his car. He wore a black, loose suit that hung off of his thin frame. It looked as if he hadn’t shaved in a while and his hair looked messy and disgusting. My smile was wiped off of my face, but once Ben’s angry filled eyes met mine, I forced a smile on my lips and held up a finger, indicating I’d be down in just a second.

Taking a deep breath, I opened my door and slowly walked down the stairs. My dad was at the bottom of the stairs, his eyes bloodshot red. He glared at me with his eyes filled with rage. What had I done to get him so angry?

“Where are you going?” he growled at me, violently gripping onto my arm.

“The school’s dance.” I told him with a steady voice.

“And who are you going with?” he hissed, pulling onto my hair now.

I winced and pursed my lips shut so I wouldn’t let out a whimper or moan in pain.

I took a deep breath. “A boy from school is taking me. I’ll be home soon, though. I don’t plan on staying long.” I said quietly.

His grips on me loosened, and once his hands were fully off of me, I started to walk away slowly.