“Thanks.”

“Did someone say pancakes?” Fred asks, stepping in. I grin at him as I pass by. I sit on the end of the bed and eat my pancakes. Maddie is looking very flushed. I conjure a bowl and add water to it, dampening the cloth again.

***

“George?”

I open my eyes slightly. It’s still dark, so I can barely see Maddie.

“Mmm?”

“Water…”

I hold the cup to her lips and help her gulp some water down. She’s been sick for three days now and hasn’t shown any signs of getting better. Mum reckons she’ll be fine though. I roll over and go back to sleep.

When I wake again it’s light and Maddie’s sitting up, looking exhausted, but better.

“I got the turn last night, according to your Mum,” she tells me, smiling slightly.

“You look better,” I say, sitting up and giving her a kiss on the forehead.

“I feel better,” she replies, stretching, “ow…”

“Sore?” I ask. She nods.

“Cramped up.”

She swings her legs over the side of the bed and I catch the back of her singlet.

“You’re staying in bed until you’re completely better,” I tell her.

“But I-”

“No buts,” I say, dragging her back into bed, “you can read, knit, sew, whatever, but you’re to stay in bed.”

“George!” she whines, “I’ve been in bed for days!”

I give her a look and she pouts at me. From Fred’s room I hear one of the babies start to cry. Maddie immediately jumps to her feet. I put an arm out as she sways dizzily.

“I’m fine,” she says, taking a step towards the door. I jump out of bed and push her back onto it.

“Stay,” I tell her firmly. She rolls her eyes and tucks her knees up under chin. I walk into Fred’s room. Fred is lying with his head covered by his pillow. I pick Carmen up and rock her gently. Alithea is standing in her crib, watching me.

“Daddy, up!” she calls, holding her arms up.

“Hang on,” I tell her. Carmen’s eyes are open and she’s looking up at me with a little smile on her face.

“Daddy! I want up!” Alithea whines, “I want Mummy!”

“Mummy’s still sick,” I tell her, putting Carmen up over my shoulder. Alithea plonks down on her bottom and starts to cry. It’s hard for her having gone from an only child who gets doted on by everyone to having to share the attention with two others.

“Nuuuhhahhh!” Fred groans.

“You know, you could help me out,” I tell him.

“Mmmmeeeeehhhhhhhhnnnnaaaaaaaaaahhhhh.”

“Alithea, stop crying, please,” I sigh, trying to comfort little Fred as he wakes and begins to howl.

“Here, let me get him,” Dad says, walking in wearing his dressing gown.

“Sorry, Dad,” I say.

“Don’t worry about it, I understand,” he replies rocking Fred. Alithea cries even louder, throwing a proper tantrum including the kicking and screaming.