Chapter 105

**George’s POV**

“Are you okay?” I ask Maddie as we get ready for bed, “you barely ate anything at dinner.”

“I’m just tired,” she replies, climbing into bed and snuggling down. I lie down next to her and touch her forehead.

“You’re burning up,” I tell her. She sighs softly and closes her eyes. I watch her drift off to sleep, then roll onto my back. I know she’s getting sick.

I wake up early the next morning. Well, about eleven… Maddie’s still fast asleep, a frown on her face. She’s covered with sweat and is shivering. I get up and walk into Fred’s room. He’s lying starfish style on his stomach with his mouth hanging open.

“Fred,” I mutter, poking him.

“Huh? What?” he shakes his head and looks up at me blearily, “what’s going on?”

“Maddie’s sick,” I tell him, “so the babies will have to sleep in here.”

“Why?”

“Because they can’t get sick! It could kill them.”

Fred groans and flops face first into his pillow. I walk back and forth from my bedroom bringing the cribs in. The babies aren’t there so I presume Mum’s got them with her. When I go back into the bedroom Maddie is stirring.

“How do you feel?” I ask her quietly. She groans loudly.

“That bad, huh?”

She rolls onto her back and groans again. I brush her hair off her forehead. She’s burning up and is covered with sweat. I grab a glass of water from the bedside table and help her to drink it.

“I’ll get Mum,” I tell her. She tosses her head around, clearly very uncomfortable.

“Mum?” I stick my head in the kitchen. She’s there with the babies cooking breakfast.

“Yes dear?”

“Maddie’s sick. I think she’s got a fever,” I tell her, “I’ve moved the cribs into Fred’s room and given Maddie some water.”

“Get a couple of cloths and soak them in cold water then put them on her forehead and feet,” Mum says, “make sure she drinks lots, but don’t give her anything to eat.”

“She’s in a lot of pain.”

“Just try to keep her cool,” Mum says, “and if you’re around her you’ll have to stay away from the babies.”

I nod slowly and lean over to kiss Alithea softly on the top of the head. She pushes me away and keeps munching her toast.

I find some cloth and get a bowl of cold water. I walk into the bedroom and sink onto the bed. I dip the cloth in the water and place it on Maddie’s forehead and feet.

“That feel better?” I breathe. She nods slightly.

“I’m… So… Hot…” she puffs. I pull her pyjama pants and top off so she’s in undies and a singlet.

“Better?”

“Mmm…”

I dip another cloth in the water and wipe her arms and legs with it. She sighs quietly and her breathing begins to level out. I carry the water out to the kitchen, being careful to avoid the kids.

“She’s sleeping,” I tell Mum.

“Good,” she says, nodding in approval, “I made you pancakes. I’ll bring lunch in later if you want to sit with her.”