Chapter 109

**Maddie’s POV**

The battle is starting. All around us people are running to their posts. I grab Fred and George and pull them both close.

“Neither of you die!” I yell over the noise, “promise me!”

“I promise that I’ll try not to!” George replies.

“There’s no way in hell I’m being taken down,” Fred laughs, “come on, let’s get going!”

“George! Are the kids safe?” I ask as we run through the halls.

“They’re with Tonks’ mum!” he calls back to me, “they’re safe!”

I breathe a sigh of relief just in time be knocked over by an exploding wall. When I scramble to my feet I can’t see Fred or George and the hall in front of me is blocked. Swearing, I turn and dash off in the other direction.

**George’s POV**

“PROTEGO!” I yell, “GINNY! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING?!”

“HARRY NEEDED TO GO INTO THE ROOM!” she replies loudly, “I HAD TO COME OUT!”

A death eater appears and I push my sister behind me.

“WHERE’S FRED?”

I kick the body of the death eater aside and shrug.

“Fighting somewhere else,” I reply, “come on, stick close to me.”

**Fred’s POV**

“Percy!” I call, running down a hallway to catch up to my brother, “where-”

I’m interrupted by the untimely arrival of some death eaters.

“Well, this is a nice little catch-up,” I joke as we begin moving back together, still fending off the death eaters. Ron, Harry and Hermione appear from behind us just as the hood of one of the death eaters falls back, revealing Pius Thicknesse.

“Hello, Minister!” Percy yells, “did I mention I’m resigning?”

“You’re joking Percy!” I shout, “you actually are joking, Perce! I don’t think I’ve heard you joke since you were-”

I feel cold all over and then very suddenly hot. The sounds of the battle are fading and then everything is still, silent and dark…

**Maddie’s POV**

I’m not quite sure how it happened, but I ended up in the Astronomy tower with Fleur.

“STUPIFY!” I yell. The death eater tumbles out the window and I turn to Fleur. We’re both covered in dirt and blood, are white and shaking.

“You have fought,” a high, cold voice says, echoing through the castle, “valiantly. Lord Voldemort knows how to value bravery.”

I grab Fleur’s hand and we back up against the wall, trembling.

“Yes you have sustained heavy losses. If you continue to resist me, you will all die one by one. I do not wish this to happen. Every drop of magical blood spilled is a loss and a waste. Lord Voldemort is merciful. I command my forces to retreat, immediately. You have one hour. Dispose of your dead with dignity. Treat your injured. I speak now, Harry Potter, directly to you. You have permitted your friends to die for you, rather than face me yourself. I shall wait for one hour in the Forbidden Forest If, at the end of that hour, you have not come to me, have not given yourself up, then battle recommences. This time, I shall enter the fray myself, Harry Potter, and I shall find you, and I shall punish every last man, woman and child who has tried to conceal you from me. One hour.”