Chapter 3: It's over

"Zaniya!! “ I screamed as I bolted up right. Complete silence answered me. Zaniya! I screamed in my head.“Zaniya” I gasped. Something sunk in. Two things sunk in. Zaniya was really gone. And so was Melanie.

No one was here to stop my tears. Melanie wasn’t on my shoulder whispering its OK. Zaniya wasn’t at my side for me to bury my head in her fur and cry. Ferrara wasn’t rubbing my hand crying with me. Annabell wasn’t crying with me or pointing out the bright side. Jake wasn’t here to hold my hand and look into my eyes. The silence was nagging at my heart, pulling it apart even more.

I finally stopped crying and took in my surroundings. I whipped the tears away and looked around me. I was surrounded by trees. I wasn’t in the clearing. I was lost

Hours had past and I was still lost. The word echoed in my now lonely mind. I had no idea where I was. Salty tears streamed down my checks and beaded off my chin, some off my nose and on my lips.

I was drowsy, feint with hunger, and lonely. I couldn’t take another second. I wanted to black out and die. Anything was better than this. Look what had happened to the mighty protector. Fallen, crying, wolfless, lost. I was lying on the ferns to save myself from falling when I saw a wolf emerge from the forest, this wolf was too small for Zaniya, but I felt a tiny shred of hope, as I saw the familiar brown and black pelt of Zack, Jake’s wolf. I felt even more dizzy thinking their names. I saw the grayish fur of Tanya, and then the tannish fur of Spaz. I saw Ferrara, Jake and Annabell follow them closely, and they were followed closely by Lislette and Stella, Annabell and Ferrara's faeries. And then I hoped to die.

* * *

I moaned as the sunlight hit my face, waking me up.

“Trinity? Trinity are you ok? “Voices that belonged to people in my unfocused eyes asked me.

“What do you mean?” I asked the blurry people.

“Anna! Jake! Come over here!” Ferrara cried as I crossed my legs.

“Trin!” They both exclaimed as they stepped into the small room, they were clearly relieved for some reason.

“Guys? How did you find me? How long has it been? Where is Zaniya, is she OK?” the questions gushed out of my lips.

“We used the wolves, a week, Culpeper. And I’m not sure if I’d use the word okay...” Jake answered all my questions in one breath like I had asked them. My eyes scanned the clearing until I saw a large furry mass that looked familiar.

“Zaniya!” I cried. Zaniya had come back to me. My heart swelled with joy. As I reached her I slid to my knees holding my arms open wide for her to jump into them, waiting for my lost wolf to come to me, but she never came.

“Having fun?” a voice I really didn't want to hear asked. Zaniya’s face flickered with pain.

“Myla?” I asked, “How?” I was furious. Myla emerged from behind a tree and looked down at me (I was still on the ground).

“Well after somebody blacked out, your pathetic chief thought it cruel to send Zaniya away alone after she had come this far with you. And he realized how right you and Zaniya were. So he tried to wake you. But somebody never woke. So he dumped you in the woods. He was extremely unhappy with what he had done. He was horrified actually. So I offered to take the worthless mutt, much against Zaniyo’s approval.” She said in a singsong voice.

“Zaniya.” I growled.

“Whatever, so he said why not. So now, you need to face it. I’m the first wolf girl.” She finished her gloat and I thought I was coming to an end. With Zaniya feeling compelled to do whatever Myla asked her because of the bond, I was doomed.