Tall Tales and hard spills. Part 1

Roman his redhead seemed to be on fire as he placed himself into the deep ebony and red leather recliner with Neo by his side her head tilted on his shoulder as she was in a deep sleep. A brown stick of rolled tobacco also known as a cigar was in his mouth.  

Reaching into the soft overcoat pocket yielded the produce of a engraved lighter. Roman took the cigar from his mouth eyeing it hungrily. Roman fought the urge to place it back into his pockets as his addiction began to take hold. Roman has never been one to be able to resist.

Soon enough the flickering of a red flame could be seen lighting the room as Roman lit the cigar. Startling the poor sleeping Neo beside him from her sleep. A flash of anger flashed in her eyes before she closed her eyes slowly her breathing eventually slowing as she fell back into her sleep.

"So you wish to know how we meet?" Roman sighed as he seemed to speak to no one yet to everyone.

*Roman begins to tell the story as the Narrator .*

10 years prior.

I angrily remember being on a train to Mantel as I was sent by my employer to 'retrieve' merchandise from a local gang of thieves known the Icy hearts. The trains engine came to a stop at the station I was to get off at. 

The wind picked up aggressively as it sent my hat flying.  "Damn it. That was my good hat."

I felt like hell. The ice crunching under my feet as I stomped to the coordinates I was given. The cold air whipped my hair as I walked the cold city streets passing no one as it seemed to be a ghost town. 

No one in their right mind would be out in this intense cold. "I better get a damn raise." I muttered under my breath turning into the dark and damp alley all the while sliding on the icy pavement and cursing a storm. 

 I stopped for a moment reaching into my coat pocket producing the tablet item called a scroll. The light produced lit a small portion of my face the screen showing the numbers that I was sent by my employer. 

The smell of something sweet wafted through the air like ice cream but where I was at was barren alleys and I felt no one's presence.