"Well, as nice as you can manage to be while still putting up a cannon against at our foes."

"Colonel Kenji, not now." He says to his comrade, before picking up a glass of alcohol being offered around the room.

"Ah yes, I suppose it's impolite to talk about that in a ball...

My, you are drinking? What could be on your mind then?" The brunet asks curiously, although not really expecting the usually silent man to tell him anything;

Yet Futakuchi is pleasantly surprised when the light-haired general replies back.

"A woman." Kenji raises his eyebrows. It is not often that Aone so much looks at a female, let alone think of them repeatedly.

"And what is the problem?" He questions. "Forgive my wording, but I feel as though I am a dark cully, betraying her. It's only been three years."

The colonel sighs, looking at the light-haired man straight in the eyes. "Like you said, it's been three years since your wife had passed away. You cannot be a dark cully, as this new woman is no mistress."

"Is it not bad to be captivated by another woman? To find familiarity with her? To seek for her warmth and hold?" Takanobu Aone asks quietly, looking distantly at the ballroom, eyes resting at a familiar turquoise dress.

"Feelings cannot be helped, Takanobu. As long as it is lawful, no man should have the right to go against you. You are a righteous man, after all. And I do believe this woman, whoever she may be, has patrician upbringing, yes?"

Aone nods, watching (F/N) (L/N) sway with the music with one of the soldiers attending the ball. "Most certainly. She is the daughter of a war hero, and I am only one of many who've fallen for her charm."

Futakuchi smiles. "Then there you have it, General. She seems like an exquisite woman, for you to be so smitten with her. So if she be here tonight, invite her to dance, and escort her across the ballroom and her carriage later on."

"You have my gratitude, Colonel Kenji." He thanks him gratefully. "Yes, now I should get going. I see Shimizu Kiyoko across the room, a beauty she is, and a nobleman's daughter too."

He sees his friend off to get rejected by the bespectacled beauty, and as the song comes to an end, he pushes through the people to get to (F/N).

"(F/N)." He calls to her, admiring the way she holds his gaze. "General Aone. Have you come to ask me for that dance I wanted of you?" She lightly teases.

The tall man nods, the tips of his ears turning pink, as he offers his arm to the woman in front of him, who in turn graciously accepts.

"I've been waiting patiently, mind you. I hope this is worth it." She smiles at him, her eyes crinkling slightly as the music starts to play a new piece.

The music is just right, as he dances with her in the ballroom. They don't talk, but their eyes continue to make contact with each other, and there is a certain intensity to those (eye/c) irises that are so familiar, yet so different and it makes him fall deeply that night.

---

He cannot meet her often. The last he's seen of her in person was nearly a year ago.

It is inevitable. He's a military general, and if he wants to win this war, to not be killed in this war, he must survive and put his focus in things more important than petty love.

And she's the well-protected daughter of a rich man, kept as far apart as possible from the outside world as her father could manage;

him wanting to keep her pure, as if a large blanket was shielding her from the war.