8.

"So you're Captain America?" You asked, awkwardly rubbing the back of your neck. It all felt so surreal, as if all of it had been a dream. Surely you would wake up any second, safe in bed. But if this was a dream, you weren't sure you wanted to wake up from it. Bucky was seated beside you, still holding your hand while he read, and Captaim America, the Captain America, was standing across from you, asking about your injuries. Pretty awesome dream.

"Yes, but you can call me Steve." He replied, blushing as he noticed you and Bucky's intertwined fingers. You laughed, if he thought that was bad, you wondered how he was surviving your modern culture.

"I'm (Y/N)." You replied, holding out your other hand for Steve to shake. "I'm a doctor."

"Yeah he told me." Steve laughed, shaking you hand as he tipped his head in Bucky's direction. "He's told us a lot actually."

You were startled by the sound of Bucky's book slamming down on the table. "Wanna shut up?"

You tensed, worried about the situation escalating. You weren't sure what you would do if things got out of hand.

Steve seemed to take it all in stride however, as he burst out laughing. You glanced at Bucky, surprised to see his face lit up in a sheepish grin. Then you remembered what you'd read in the paper, about how Steve and Bucky had been childhood friends.

Suddenly another person stepped into the room, seemingly wearing a jet pack. "She said she'll send someone over." You squinted in confusion at the newcomer, sure you recognized him from somewhere. Suddenly it hit you. Sam Wilson. He had been best friends with your brother, before he was KIA.

"Sam?" You questioned. It had been nearly seven years since you'd last seen him.

"(Y/N)?!" Sam gasped, his hand flying over his mouth in shock. "I can't believe I didn't recognize you last night! I mean it was dark but heck?!"

Both Steve and Bucky's heads snapped up, eyes glancing back and forth between you in bewilderment. "You know her?" Steve asked, nodding at Sam.

"Yeah, she's uh..." Sam paused, glancing nervously at you, "she's Riley's sister."

Steve looked shocked, while Bucky just looked confused.

"What are you doing here?!" You laughed, as Sam came to your bedside, "I didn't know you hung with super heroes?" You teased, gesturing to his odd outfit. Seeing him again, felt a little like seeing your brother again, like any moment he'd come walking through the door too, telling you all about his latest adventures.

"I could say the same thing to you!" Sam laughed, shaking his head in disbelief. "How are you?"

You gently pressed your hand against your ribs, "right now? Well I'm alive so that's good. Think I'm dreaming though."

"Feels like it sometimes doesn't it." Sam agreed, glancing back at Steve. "But the bruises tend to feel otherwise."

"True." You laughed, causing your side to scream in pain. You clutched it, sending yourself back into a coughing fit. Bucky stood, worriedly helping you settle back down into a laying position.

"Quit laughing." He muttered quietly, causing you to laugh again. He shot you a disapproving glare. You covered your mouth trying to suppress the giggles, it was just so funny. You wondered if this was how your patients felt when you gave them instructions.

"Oh that reminds me." Sam said suddenly, snapping his fingers. "The doctor should be here soon."

"What doctor?"

"Don't worry we can trust him." Sam assured you. "Sharon sent him."

"Oh the irony." You mused, "the doctor needs a doctor."

Everyone chuckled, shaking their heads at your poor attempt at a joke. You smiled though, relaxing. You were afraid things were going to be unbearably awkward, but with Sam there, and Bucky seeming more and more his old self with every passing moment, it seemed as if maybe things would be alright.

"Really though, I could have diagnosed myself." You laughed.

"But you can't treat yourself." Bucky argued. "And you're not going to heal over night you need to rest."

You rolled your eyes at him, "since you listened so well when I told you to rest."

"That was different."

"Sure buck, whatever you say."