Chapter 18: Savannah

I was disappointed when I got back to the tent and found that Cole had, in fact, dismantled the entire thing in record time. I had been hoping to drag out our departure for a while. It had even crossed my mind to just forget the whole thing and stay, but having Alex forgive me didn’t really change anything. I didn’t need to be forgiven.

“All set,” Cole said, shoving the last of the tent poles into their pouch as I approached. “Are you about ready to go?”

“Already?” I looked around the field. Telling myself I was ready to leave didn’t stop me from frantically trying to find a reason to put it off. “There are still like a dozen tents up. They won’t be leaving for awhile.”

“True, but we don’t have to leave when they do,” he said sympathetically. “The sooner we get going, the better. We may as well hit the road.”

“Where is it we’re even going?”

“Not too far outside of Indianapolis.”

“Seriously? Why there?” I’d never been outside of Illinois before, and while Indiana was literally the next state over, it seemed like an entire world away.

“Because that’s where we’re going.” Cole shrugged but refused to elaborate.

“Whatever. Paulson wanted us to check in before we take off.” Part of me wanted to back down, to stay with the people I knew in the area I’d grown up in. A bigger part of me knew that that would be the wrong decision.

“So, you’re determined to do this?” Paulson asked. I nodded. “And you won’t tell me where you’re going?”

“Indiana, apparently,” I responded, trying to offer as much information as I could. Cole gave me a sharp look that suggested I should just keep my mouth shut, but I wanted Paulson to know that I had a plan. I wasn’t just doing this on a whim. I guessed the name of a state on its own wouldn’t exactly qualify as a well thought-out strategy, but it was all I had to give.

“Okay, I can’t stop you, but Savannah, I still think you’re being reckless.” Paulson looked resigned, which was a step up from his usually condescending attitude. While I hadn’t seen him much since New Ravencrest had formed, he’d taken good care of me after my parents died, and I hated to disappoint him. “You’re almost seventeen years old, and I suppose in times like these that’s practically an adult. You’ve proven you can take care of yourself. I just hate to see you go. It’s dangerous out there.”

I know that now more than ever, I thought. “I promise, if I can, I’ll come find you all again.”

They were headed to the town next to Meadowvale, and planned to take over a block of houses while they cleared the area. I was leaving, and they had finally decided to branch out into something more substantial than everyone in town crammed into one building.

“I sincerely hope you do. Now, is there anything else?”

I shook my head, biting my lip in an attempt to stop it from quivering.

“Actually,” Cole said, “we were hoping you could spare some supplies.”

“Is that so,” Paulson said, looking mildly annoyed. I hadn’t asked because I didn’t want to push my luck, but apparently Cole had no such qualms. “Our resources are limited, and we have a lot of mouths to feed. If you’re so determined to go off on your own, you should have considered this.”

“I know, I’m sorry,” I said hurriedly. “We’ll figure something out.”

“I’m not saying no, just that it’s a lot to ask considering that our own stores have recently been depleted. I’ll send you off with enough food for two days. After that you’re on your own.”