Learning To Live Again

Start from the beginning

Parker winked. She took a step back from the door, placed her hand on the knob, then proceeded to close and lock it. 

"Blue balls much?" pouted Barry. 

"What are 'blue balls'?" wondered Evelyn, tugging on his hand. 

Barry panicked. "I'll buy you anything you want if you never repeat that phrase again," he begged quietly. 

"Deal!" agreed Evelyn eagerly. 

It was only around twenty minutes later when Parker exited the bedroom, dressed in grey sweatpants and a black sweatshirt. Her hair was in a loose ponytail. She tugged on boots as she entered into the main section of the apartment, where Barry and the children sat together on the couch. 

Parker smiled when she saw them. "Hey, kids, wanna hear a big announcement?"

As per usual, when asked a question, enthusiastic responses were given by the kids. 

"Barry's your father."

His jaw dropped. "Parker!"

"What?" she laughed. "No long, emotional speech needed to happen. If y'all got questions, ask, but it's pretty self-explanatory. Daddy wasn't around for a while and now he is, and he's Barry! Yay!"

Nathan looked up at Barry. "Can we call you Dad?"

"Are you really our Daddy?" wondered Evelyn quietly.

"Yeah, I am," agreed Barry. "Is that okay?"

Nathan and Evelyn looked at one another, judging their responses. To the naked eye, it seemed as though a telepathic conversation was going on. Then, with an synchronized eyebrow wiggle, both kids attacked Barry with the tightest hug he had ever received from either one. 

"It's great," corrected Parker. "Now, go get in the car. Yes, that means now. Kids, let's go, let's go, let's go. You, too, Barry!"

"Carry me!" begged Nathan, holding his arms to his mother.

"You have two legs, use them," said Parker. 

"Why?" 

"I did not spend eighteen hours of labor pushing you two out so you could beg me to carry you around when you're fully capable of walking, that's why."

Barry patted Nathan's head. "I would walk, buddy."

"Good idea," agreed Nathan. 

xxxx

Another thing he liked about this version of Parker: because of the kids, she was a safe driver. It was entirely refreshing, not having to pray before he entered the car. It had become a habit unfamiliar to him in the other timeline. 

When Parker came to a stop in front of Barry's childhood home, he exited first from the car. He aimed to quickly get one of the kids from the car so he could go hug his mother. 

"Just go hug your Mom," encouraged Parker, waving her hand. "I can get our Satan's Spawns up and out of the car."

"Are you sure?" asked Barry. 

"Run like the wind, Bullseye," she agreed. 

Barry didn't need another shove. He hustled up to the unlocked front door, then sneaked around the house until he entered the dining room. He hugged his mother from behind, surprising her. She heartily laughed and patted his arms lovingly.