Chapter 5

Percy's POV

I sat in my chemistry class staring at the teacher as he droned on about representing molecular bonds through Lewis structures. I was spinning riptide around my fingers doing my best to ignore Edwards laser stare at the back of my head. If looks could kill I would without a doubt have blown up several times over. The bell rang and I gathered my stuff and got out of there as fast as I could.

I shoved my books in my locker and strolled into the lunch room. In the line, there was nothing but crappy cafeteria food. I glanced around to make sure no one was looking and I conjured up some pizza and a blue coke. I sat down at the nearest empty table and pulled out a book Ann- she had given me to read before she died. It was almost physically painful every time I opened it because she had written a short note on the inside cover.

Dear Seaweed Brain,

Happy Birthday! I hope you actually read this and don't just stick it on your shelf and never look at again. It's in Greek so dyslexia is no excuse!

                                       With all my love, 

                                                                   Wisegirl

The front said in big curly letters "The Iliad". I opened it to the first page and started reading, zoning off into my own world.

Bella's POV

The Cullens and I walked into the cafeteria and immediately looked for a decent table since they didn't need to eat anything, and I brought lunch. I spotted Percy sitting alone reading a book, so I walked over, ignoring Edwards sputtered protests. 

"Hey Percy! Can we sit with you?" He jumped a little as if I scared him. He turned to face me looking sad but gestured for us to join him. 

"Thanks!" I gave Edward a look telling him to be nice.

 Alice immediately tried to start a conversation, "So Percy, what are you reading?" He lifted the book slightly so we could see the cover, but it wasn't in English so I have no idea what it is.

"Wow, the Iliad," says Alice sounding impressed "You don't strike me as the type to read the Iliad in Ancient Greek, so where'd you get it? Girlfriend maybe?" She was obviously prying to see if he was with anyone romantically. Alice was nosey like that.

 "I don't have a girlfriend", he said through gritted teeth. His grip on the book tightens, and his eyes darken a little making him look kind of scary. 

Obviously, Emmet noticed the fence atmosphere because he surfaced from sucking lips with Rosalie long enough to say, "Dude, why not, girls rule." Not waiting for an answer he went back to kissing Rosalie. Percy stared at them for a second a look of disgust and sadness on his face.