Chapter One

The day was nearly over.

Morgiana scoped the filthy vomit with her bare hands. The smelly odor was prompting her stomach to churn and throw up but she has to finish cleaning the mess on the tiled floor before the guests came back. She grabbed the rag beside her to wipe the floor and washed it on the water basin. When she squeezed it, the filthy water splashed to her clothes.

Being an overseas hotel housekeeper was a noble profession, at least to Morgiana, especially if the reason was to provide financial assistance for the family.

“Morgiana, the guests are coming. Hurry up.” Leila, one of her fellow housekeepers, warned as she entered the room and hastily vacuumed the carpet.

“I’m almost done.” She replied softly despite of her nauseous feeling due to the smelly odor hovering on the room. 

It's been several months since she went to Qishan as an overseas worker because of the economic crisis and the increase of unemployment rate that her country was facing. Even if she finished her studies, there was no job vacancy or hiring in any of the local companies or establishments in her country so she decided to work overseas. However, the wage that she'd been receiving from her employer was not enough to support both her personal needs and her family’s so she would skip meals and save the money. Sometimes, she would take part time jobs outside the hotel like tutoring some merchants’ children on their respective homes at night or helping out in restaurant kitchens as a dishwasher during day off.

"Aren’t you coming with us, Morgiana?" Leila asked one dinner time.

Morgiana shook her head. "No, you can go without me."

"You're getting skinny, you know. We can share food if you want." Sahsa offered.

"I appreciate it but I'm fine." She politely declined, "You better go now, it's getting late. You might be curfewed." She reminded them.

There was a hint of worry on her fellow housekeepers’ face. They knew that Morgiana was strong despite of her short stature but they’ve been worrying about her health.

Morgiana kept on enduring the nostalgia chilling her skin. There were nights when she would dream about her parents and that would strengthen her to work harder. She missed her family so much, especially her mother.

One day, a dreadful news reached Qishan that shook her whole being.

"Was it true?" Came the rumors gushing through her ears.

"Yes. Cathargo..." There were whispers and eyes darting her as she worked in the lobby of the hotel. "that aweful country..."

She tightened her hold of the scrub and continued scrubbing the floor when they mentioned her country.

"Poor race. I heard nobody escaped from the genocide except the ones working overseas. But they'll be forced to leave their own country even if they try to come back." They stared at her as she scrubbed the floor, "Like that Fanalis housekeeper."

Her eyes widened in horror as she felt the air slowly leaving her lungs. She felt her knees trembling in shock upon hearing the news.

No. It can't be. She told herself but the denial didn’t help her fight the raging emotions in her chest.

It's been a month since she lost her phone while passing by the crowded bazaar. She could only contact her family through Sahsa's phone. Unfortunately, one of the hotel supervisors confiscated it when Sahsa accidentally slipped it from her pocket on one of their duties.

Morgiana felt the hands of her fellow housekeepers rubbing circles on her back to comfort her but it didn't help. She clenched her fists and stood from her feet.