Jailbreak

Chapter 1

Caitlin's POV

"You're a worthless piece of shit!" The slurred words hit me harder than the palm of his hand. This had been going on for what seemed like hours, and I could hardly think straight anymore.

"Joey, please stop, I'm sorry, I thought-" my rambling attempt to stop the beating was cut off by his firm grasp on my wrists. He yanked me up quickly and painfully, as I scrambled to put my feet on the floor. When he was sober, I loved being a little shorter than him. It made me feel small and dainty, safe and untouchable. When he got drunk like this, I felt the exact opposite.

"You're my bitch. I tell you what to do, not the other way around. You're a worthless whore and I don't even know why I keep you around."

He dropped me to the floor, kicked me swiftly in the gut, and went upstairs to bed, muttering obscenities under his breath.

My eyes squinted as I tried to stop the tears from streaming down my cheeks. It was no use. I gasped for air as I clutched my stomach. I couldn't even remember what I had said to make him so angry, and I'm not sure he did either. Then again, I couldn't even remember my own name over the screaming pain in my wrists, and the stinging needle-like sensations in my cheeks. Now, all I knew was that I had to get out of here. I would be hospitalized after just one more drunken fight.

I stood up cautiously, breathing slowly and trying to ignore the pains, and inspected the black and blue splotches, already appearing on my arms. I let out a small sigh, silently sliding on my hoodie, and unlatched the front door. Stepping onto the patio, and skimming down the steps, I took my first breath, knowing I was safe now. From him anyway.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the incredibly short chapter, but I thought it would give you a sense of what the book is going to be about. Incase you didn't know, the characters and setting is based on 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton.

Thanks so much for reading!

-M