Chapter 51. Meet the Family*

Start from the beginning

Out in the short hall, he remembered Emil mentioning other living quarters, and took the three down one flight of stairs and out to a long corridor. It looked like a hall in a fine hotel, richly decorated with tasteful lighting along the ceiling. Tourneau wondered what had been in Emil's head when he had this area finished.

On the right, floor to ceiling windows showed the beautiful skyline of Saint Louis and on the left, they came to the first door. Trying the knob, Tourneau realized it was locked. There was a keypad on the handle and knowing how nostalgic Emil was, he punched in his friend's birthday: 07-30-91. Chuckling to himself when the code worked, Tourneau entered the room, causing the lights to automatically come on.

"Ooh-la-la," Aiden said, poorly affecting a French accent. Throwing himself down on the overstuffed couch, he exclaimed, "This is sweet! Emil sure knows how to decorate."

The older vampires rolled their eyes at the their younger accomplice's enthusiasm as they stepped into the room and glanced around. It seemed that while no comfort had been spared, all necessities had been seen to as well. There were blood coolers and warmers where traditional kitchen appliances would be, as well as weapons storage along the wall opposite the door. There was a sleeping chamber appointed sparsely but tastefully.

The couch was opposite a modern flat screen television, with other A/V components in a tasteful cabinet below the wall-mounted screen.

"I will hazard a guess that all of the living quarters are likewise appointed, so the only decision comes with who wants to be next to the door?" Tourneau explained.

"I will take these quarters if there is no objection," Malachi answered quietly. "I would prefer to be first to engage if a battle were to occur here."

"Fair enough. Would you like to remain here while I show the rest?" Tourneau offered.

Malachi only nodded, and began to look about. Tourneau led Aiden and Xavier out and pulled the door almost shut. He said to Malachi, "I anticipate Emil allowing you to change the lock if you want. For now it is 07-30-91."

"Got it. I have no need for privacy, nor do I have anything to hide. The code may remain," the quiet vampire answered. Tourneau nodded his response this time, appreciating the vote of confidence the male offered.

In the hall, Xavier said, "I will have Aiden take the middle apartment. I think that while he is an accomplished warrior, it would be to his best interest to be flanked on either side by those with more experience, since he has not had the occasion to engage in such battles as we are likely to in the near future."

"Do you have any reason to oppose your wise friend's proposal?" Tourneau asked Aiden.

"No, but I don't need to be treated like a baby either. I can hold my own. I think I proved that earlier," Aiden answered sulkily.

"I don't believe your skill is in question, only your experience," Tourneau said, using the same code to open the next door. Aiden had only been with the Guardians for about thirty years, having joined right after he had been turned when he was only eighteen. He had grown up, but was still immature by comparison with the other Guardians.

"Fine," Aiden said, huffing as he went through the door. While the interior held the same amenities, the décor here was more modern, with brighter reds and yellows. Aiden begrudgingly admitted, "I like this better anyway."

"I'll show Xavier to his quarters while you look around. Did you hear what I told Malachi about the code to get into your apartment?"

"Yeah. I remember the number. And I don't have anything to hide either. It can stay the same," Aiden said over his shoulder as he rounded the corner to the kitchen area.

"Fair enough, we'll see you in short while," Tourneau said, logging the stocky younger vampire's response in his head.

"Xavier, here is your apartment, hopefully it suits your needs," Tourneau said, opening the last door in the corridor, other than a security door set in the end.

This apartment was likewise appointed, but done in muted blues and subdued grays. Tourneau could not believe how each room had suited each male. Xavier was older than Malachi, and had a history on the seas once upon a time.

"Thank you, Jean, for your hospitality in Emil's...absence. Surely you are aware of how urgent it is that we convene to plan the next phase of attack," the tall, thin vampire said.

"I understand fully the urgency, but I also think it fair to let Emil have some time with the woman who saved him. I don't think any of us know how close he was to ending it all," Tourneau answered pointedly.

Aghast, Xavier exclaimed, "Surely not! Emil is the epitome of what a Guardian stands for. He would never leave his post in such a way! I find such an act impossible from one of our legends. Emil would have come to one of us before he did something so drastic."

"I should not have left, Xavier. I knew he was lonely when I left the Guardians. I just thought I was more lonely," Jean said softly, confiding in one of his oldest acquaintances.

"Speaking of that, Jean. Watch Hawk. I've seen the way he is looking at you. I know how your...interests may lie, and it has taken Hawk several decades to accept his feelings for you. Tread carefully, my friend," Xavier advised Jean.

"I had no idea before today, Xavier. I was too full of myself and my...my other interests," Jean confessed. "I will go and flush out Emil and Evan. Our leader must accept his responsibilities sooner than later."

Tourneau told the three male vampires to go to the garage and bring up whatever weapons they wanted from the vehicles and stow them in their new quarters. He finished his instructions with an order to meet in the music room in an hour. He hoped that would give Emil and Evan enough time to get reacquainted with each other after the traumatic events of the last couple of days.

There was more to discuss than the battle plans. There was to be a little one born, and to Tourneau's knowledge, none like it...her, as Emil had said...had ever been conceived.

An hour later, the three males had come to the music room, each freshly washed and in clean clothes, looking rather worn. They would need to hunt soon, or there would be trouble. Aiden was the most irritable, Tourneau noted. He still had some learning to do, as he was only thirty or so years into his life as a vampire. As neither Emil nor Evan had emerged from their nest, Tourneau sighed heavily, knowing he would have to take it upon himself to break up their fun.