Chapter 21. Regroup.

Start from the beginning

Lyndon smiled and pressed the boy to his chest, trying hard not to cry. "I'm sorry I ever hit you."

"Ah," Lynwood laughed. "I deserved it."

"You spoke of my sister," Wilheard suddenly said. Lynwood turned from his father's embrace to gaze at the prince. Now that there was light, Lynwood could get a better view of the young man. He was pretty tall, and his clothes were rather musty from the dampness of the prison. Lynwood had to admit the prince had the bearing of a king. His hair was long and black and in a terrible knotted mess. His eyes were dark and in many ways he resembled Collyn; an older, manlier version of Collyn.

"Yes, Your Highness," Lynwood said with a small bow. "She is with my sister in the dragon's cave."

It was obviously not a satisfactory answer to the poor brother. His eyes widened with fear. "Is she really safe there?"

"Safer than any other place I could possibly put them. The cave it is higher than any man has ever climbed."

"And what about the threat the dragon might pose while you are gone?"

"With all due respect Your Highness, the dragon poses no threat to them at all. At the moment he is on the roof of the castle, though I do not expect he shall stay there long."

"What of other dragons?" Wilheard argued.

"There are no other dragons. At least in all the time we have been living there we never saw any."

Wilheard scowled. "So two girls alone in a cave somewhere in a mountain is your idea of safe?"

"Safer than two girls out in the woods exposed to the elements. Or two girls at the mercy of the King's guards. Where would have hidden them, Your Highness, if you had been in my situation?"

"Oh I would have killed the dragon once he had taken me to his cave, that way I would have felt safe."

"In other words you would have betrayed him?"

"Betraying a dragon isn't betrayal," Wilheard coldly pointed out. "It is simple eliminating the possibility of the dragon attacking you."

Lynwood shook his head and looked straight into Wilheard's eyes. "Dragons are not what we think they are. They are noble and honest creatures, it is just the constant attacks of us humans have made them hate us and as such they attack and plunder."

"How do you know that for a fact?"

"Because I have lived with a dragon for this past week. There is more, Your Highness, you owe this dragon your freedom. It if had not been for him you would not have gotten very far from the prison."

"Boys," Eadberht cut in. "We can discuss dragons later. There is a more serious task at hand. That of getting Wilheard on the throne."

"Oh, what is the hope, Lord Eadberht," Wilheard turned in despair. "We are but ten men and Uncle Farran has an entire army. We had better just find Collyn and flee the country."

"That is the coward's way out!" Lynwood snapped. "For a man who boasted of being brave enough to go kill dragons you have no true courage, Your Highness."

Lyndon's eyes shot up at the reaction of his son. Since when did Lynwood become so outspoken when in public?

Wilheard inhaled angrily at these words.

"And yes," Lynwood added. "That dragon got away. You shot him in the eyebrow and he flew off. Then, only a few weeks later, he returned to save your life."

Now Wilheard's eyes filled with shock. "That...that...are you...how?"

"I found the dragon, sire, wounded and treated him. He has been my friend ever since. He has put aside his hate to help you. We have all sacrificed to help you, and you in return only want to run off? Is that really the sort of man we are putting on the throne? Can you tell me you will be better than your Uncle."