Chapter 25//: Do I know you?

[ E D I T E D ]

♕✿~♕✿~Chapter 25//: Do I know you?♕✿~♕✿~

I stare at the spot that the mysterious man was standing at seconds ago. How did he disappear so quickly?

His words ring in my ears. Soon, Lady Madison. Soon. What did he mean by that? That we would meet again?

Pursing my lips in slight confusion and curiosity, I turn away to face the ballroom doors. The orchestral music reaches out to me and I hear the tiny sounds of glass clinking and polite talking. Taking a deep breath, I step towards the doors.

The guards stationed by the doors don't question who I am or what I'm doing here and open the doors without hesitation. I step onto the top stair of a grand staircase, and my breath leaves me instantly.

The scene below me is of glitter and luxury. The women are dressed in extravagant ball gowns varying in color and design. There's pink, blue, purple, orange, yellow, black, every color you could possibly imagine and more. The men are dressed in similar outfits like that of the man who escorted me. They're dressed in simple suits with different colored ties and other accessories to show off their House colors.

Like a ripple in a pond, party-goers start to notice me and look up at me with curious stares. I feel heat rush to my face as the noise dies down, and even the orchestra comes to a stop.

I spot Ahren in the crowd, and I swear my eyes bulge out of my head. Unlike the other males in the room, he is dressed like a prince. He's wearing a uniform similar to what he was wearing in the family portrait I saw so many weeks ago. A black and red colored mask shaped into a flame adorns his shocked face as he stares at me just like I stare at him.

Then, my awed moment is shattered as I notice the suspicious looking king next to him.

Remembering that I'm supposed to blend in with the crowd, I quickly gather my skirts and walk as fast as I can while still looking dignified down the stairs. As I reach the bottom of the grand staircase, everyone slowly returns back to their business, and the music starts up again.

Looking around, I notice the most beautiful sight ever: the food.

Small, bite-sized desserts seem to shine on this table. I notice many treats I have never before seen in my life. It seems that the treats are all dressed up as well, with glittering ornaments placed delicately on each small dessert.

As I look at these in wonder and amazement, I don't look where I'm going, and suddenly crash into someone.

Pushed back by the force I bumped into, I feel myself start to fall. I close my eyes to wait for the impact to come, but it doesn't.

Instead, I feel someone grab my hand to stop me from falling.

Hesitantly, I open my eyes to see a man not much older than me smiling down at me.

I take in his appearance in surprise. He's dressed in a clean, white uniform with medals adorning it. He has tousled brown hair that gives him the look of a young boy and behind his mask, I can see glittering green eyes that shout mischievous. His handsome features make me guess that this guy has had more than 1 girl clawing for his attention.

I regain my senses, and pull myself out of the man's grip. "I am so sorry, I wasn't looking where I was going and-" I continue rambling on as the man stares at me blankly before bursting into laughter.

I stare at the man in confusion as he doubles over, still laughing. Some party goers around us were looking at us in annoyance. Well, this was taking away the purpose of blending in the crowd.