Chapter 2

Despite him hoping the next day would never arrive, somehow it did and Philip found himself back at school the next morning, putting in his locker combination. Someone tapped him on the back.

When he turned and saw that it was Lukas, his expression immediately turned cold. "What."

There were none of his stupid friends with him, but Lukas was looking rapidly up and down the corridor as if any moment someone would point out that they were talking and start laughing about it. As if he was embarrassed to be seen with Philip. "Do you want to study in the library after school today?"

Philip nodded, focusing on getting out the right books for his lessons and not on how angry he felt.

"Ok. I'll meet you in the library then" Lukas said in a low voice before turning and striding away. Half-way down the corridor he was met by his girlfriend Rose, who beamed at him and leaned upwards to kiss him before they linked hands. After a moment Lukas shot a look back over his shoulder- Philip met his eyes for a brief second before both of them looked away, Philip scowling.

He slammed his locker shut and walked away.

Not a small part of him considered ditching going to the library, but as his history teacher had said- it was 20% of their final grade. Hopefully Lukas wouldn't show up and Philip could do it by himself.

Taking a seat at a round table in the centre of the room, he got his laptop and started researching their topic, headphones blocking out the whispers of other working students.

Fifteen minutes later, Lukas still hadn't appeared and Philip began to relax, relieved that the other boy wasn't going to show up. Just when he was getting into the flow of the work, someone appeared at his side, moving restlessly.

Philip pulled out his earbuds. "Aren't you going to sit down?" he asked flatly, not looking up from his work.

"Can't we sit somewhere else?" Lukas asked in a low voice. Again, he was looking all around him, even though everyone else in the library was quietly looking through the shelves or sat at the computers, completely ignoring them.

Philip closed his eyes for a moment. "Fine." Grabbing his laptop, he followed the other boy to a smaller alcove between the shelves at the very back of the library, hidden from everyone else. As soon as they were completely out of sight Lukas seemed to relax, stopping his restless movement and actually releasing a sigh as they sat down.

"So, we're doing blood transfusions, right?" he asked as he got out his own laptop. "Do we have a plan about how we're going to divide up the work, or..." he trailed off, seeming to realise that Philip was just staring at him, expression cold. "What?"

"What?" Philip let out a burst of surprised laugher which wasn't humorous in the slightest. "So as soon as we're out of sight you'll actually be decent to me, just because you're not embarrassed to be seen talking to me anymore?"

"I...don't..." Lukas stuttered, his cheeks turning pink.

"You can't be a dick to me and then as soon as we're alone act like nothing has happened. It doesn't work like that" Philip snapped.

Still blushing, Lukas looked down at his work, biting his lip and jiggling his knee up and down again, restless. It was almost uncanny how different he looked- somehow vulnerable and nervous, none of the arrogance or cruel swagger that had seen him knock Philip's books to the floor yesterday. He was like a different person. Philip noticed how long and fair his eyelashes were against his cheek, and then he wanted to slap himself for noticing. Idiot.

"I'm sorry" said Lukas finally, still not looking up. "I know I was a dick to you yesterday, but I didn't..."

"Mean it? Sure. Seemed like you did though."