Chapter Twenty Six.

Start from the beginning

I tried to smile at him. "That kind of makes sense, Professor Calvin."

He shook his head as he smiled. "I wanted to talk to you about something." He said, more serious now. "I was going to wait until you woke, but since you're up now, and kitchen duty is about to begin, now would be a pretty good time."

"Ok." I shrugged, wondering what his new obsession with the kitchen and the people in it had to do with me.

"So, when I spoke with Lexton about her attackers, she said she didn't see them, but that there was one whose voice she may have recognized, so I figured that means it is at least someone who gets around Castrum a lot to have crossed paths with her, a human." He said. "She also said that she smelled something when she awoke with her heightened senses. She smelt vinegar and fish, which would have been used in the kitchens last night to prepare the fish and chips."

I nodded my head with him, finally seeing where he was going with all of this. "You think one of the rebels might work in the kitchens?" I asked and he nodded to me.

"Yes," He smiled, clearly pleased that I caught on quickly. "She said there were two attackers, so one is most likely the one that you've seen."

"So if you and I went to look in the kitchens, I might recognize him."

"Exactly."

I tossed off the rest of the blankets and got out of bed, rushing over to the closet to pull out some clothes. I dressed in a simple short sleeved blue dress and gold flats while Calvin leaned back on the bed admiring me while I got myself ready.

It felt like such a domestic thing for us to be doing. Me running the brush through my wavy hair and applying light makeup while my perfect husband sits back on the bed and watches me with a happy grin on his face, his dimples making me weak in the knees.

As I finished up I watched him in the mirror as he walked up behind me, putting his hands on my shoulders and he leaned in to kiss the side of my head. "You are so beautiful, Rachel." He whispered to me.

"You aren't too shabby yourself, Your Majesty."

He spun me around and left a trail of kisses up my neck to my mouth. "I love you."

"I love you too."

He took my hand and led me towards the door. "Let's go catch a rebel."

Octavia met us on level two, and I had to hug her the second I saw her. "Woah, good morning to you too." She giggled.

"I had a bad dream, and I'm just happy to see you alive, and without red eyes." I explained.

She looked at me strangely. "Red eyes?" She murmured. "That's a strange dream."

I shivered thinking of it. "Yeah, it was."

Octavia and Calvin filled each other in on things as we walked, and I just tried to remain focused on the task at hand, and the hand in mine. I squeezed it a little tighter and he looked over to give me a warm smile.

"I set up your meeting with the council tonight in a few hours." Octavia informed me.

"Thank you." I nodded, knowing already that it was going to be pointless.

"They think it's a meeting to go over what happens now with you and Calvin." She explained. "They'll want to go over your duties and the political side of things with you, and basically let you know what to expect from life here."

Calvin glanced over at me, but I kept on a brave face. I know now that soon I will be officially sworn in, again, as the queen. Option A was a pipe dream, and I couldn't even pretend anymore that that was going to be something that worked out for me. No matter what, I will be staying in Castrum de Petra for the rest of my life, only think left to figure out now is if it will be a fate that Rose will have to suffer as well.