baekhyun, not even bothering to check out, or to even glance at his reflection in the mirror, rushed through the glass double-doors and stepped out into the dazzling sunlight.

it was as if an artificial light had been shed across the aqua sky. too bright for him. and he brought an arm up to shield his sensitive eyes from the dangerous rays, vision burning and searing. fuck. he felt his grip on his bag lessen slightly.

shook his head, and squeezed his eyes shut.

began to run again. his feet carried him swiftly over to where he thought his car was. the desperation became apparent, his heart straining from the confinements of his chest, aching.

baekhyun got into the front seat, after throwing his bag into the back. feet on the pedals, forgetting his belt, sweat breaking out across his forehead, the muscles in his arms and neck popping out. the black tyres skidded and screeched on the tarmac: go.

he was racing through the crowded streets and following the directions out of the city.

within minutes, baekhyun felt thousands of distant miles away from her, and for the first time in a long time, he felt the heavy tears tug at his tired and worn-out eyes. he sniffed loudly; wiped his nose with the back of his arm.

he couldn't go back to lyon. he knew where they were, and he knew that all he had to do was drive.

for now. and so, that's what he did.

out on the open road.

//

Monaco. 18:34.

by the time baekhyun arrived, the threatening sun was hanging low in the sky, dipping its illuminated yellow into the sinking skyline, delineating itself with a seeping indigo, as the evening declared its darkened purpose.

the car came to a shaky hault. just about managed to park it. before opening the door, baekhyun leant forward onto the wheel, resting his plagued mind and heavy head onto its hard outline. he sighed deeply. with effort, baekhyun reached around the seat to grab his stuff.

with one heavy sigh and an urge of energy,

slammed the door open and shut.

the neighbourhood was fairly quiet; hushed in an early-evening kind of way. people's shutters were open, faint laughter and family chatter drifting out from the open windows. it was so hot. his shirt was drenched with sweat; he really needed a shower. as he crossed the road, a few children ran past him.

oblivious.

god, he wished he could be oblivious.

the house rose three or four storeys high, looming, almost. it was a typical old-town french house, tucked away in the suburbs of a large city, the dominant ancient architecture allowing for a narrow and towering structure. it looked too familiar--he'd been here before--and baekhyun felt the same nervous sweat creep into the corners of his body.

he wearily climbed the concrete stairs up to the wooden porch.

didn't even bother to knock.

baekhyun burst into the hallway, entering the half-darkness, his shoulders slumping, noticing the dim lighting from the one, small lamp present. the old-style building meant that the next room was directly connected to the front hall.

he looked forward.

both of them were here; sat around the small kitchen. both smoking. a thick layer of grey smothering the cracked ceiling. baekhyun also noticed the empty glasses and bottles littered across the table, and the overwhelming stench of cheap alcohol drowned in desperation.